Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just installed a Holeshot fender eliminator on my o4 sv650. The person who owned it before had hacksawed off the fender and ridden with no indicators. I had the shop put a clear alternatives signal kit on it. When I went to remove the left overs of the fender it removed the tray that the fuse box and tank prop hook into. Did I do something wrong. It looks right according to the photos. My question is what do I do with the fuse box and the tank prop(I think that will just stay in the garage). So what about this now loose fuse box?? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You could try double-sided tape and tape it down somewhere.
Perhaps in the gap behing the airbox under the rider's seat?
that'd keep the tail free to carry other stuff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So vibration is not to big a concern. I did not know if I needed to insulate it with some foam or something? Double sided tape sounds nice and easy. I might do sticky back velcro so that it can be removed easyer. Do you know if that is right to have removed the part that the fuse box normally mounts onto?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not sure.
Mine os an 03 and the tail is a little different.
On mine I removed the bit the tank stand hooks into and the mount for the tool kit.
But on the 04 the tool kit is under the back, so I'm guessing your fuse box is where my tool kit was.

I guess foam might be a good idea, but then velcro would provide a little insulation on it's own.
Was the bit you removed insulated at all?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
B.C. said:
So vibration is not to big a concern. I did not know if I needed to insulate it with some foam or something? Double sided tape sounds nice and easy. I might do sticky back velcro so that it can be removed easyer. Do you know if that is right to have removed the part that the fuse box normally mounts onto?
Yeah, the piece that holds down the fuse box and tank prop are made into the old fender. No way to keep them if you do a FE.

I just took the tank prop out and left it in the garage. Industrial sticky back velcro from walmart for the fusebox. I actually had the fusebox just sitting in there with no support for a couple of months with no problems at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright cool. I cleaned up the back alot last night by zip tieing some wire together and stickybacking the fuse box down. With the clear alternatives signal kit there are two resistors that I ended up using double sided tape to secure. I noticed they get quited hot. Is there any risk of fire having them in contact with wires or double sided tape??? Also where is this tool box everybody keeps mentioning??

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey what do you guys think about having mounted the two resistors from a clear alternatives signal kit to the frame using two sided tape. Is there any risk of the resistors getting hot enough to burn the bike down??? What about melting the wires that might be pressed against them???

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I ended up zip tying my fusebox to the left subframe rail and drilled out a hole on tab on the right to accept the prop rod bracket. I am seriously considering yanking the prop rod and just leaving it in my tool box unless I take it to someone else to be worked on. Zip ties have held up well for over a year and a half and 7000 miles....

I can post a pic if needed later on tonight...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
B.C. said:
Hey what do you guys think about having mounted the two resistors from a clear alternatives signal kit to the frame using two sided tape. Is there any risk of the resistors getting hot enough to burn the bike down??? What about melting the wires that might be pressed against them???
Personally, I'd try to not have those resistors in contact with any other wires, if possible.  Not sure how hot they get, but it's possible they could melt the insulation of the wires they are in contact with, causing a short circuit...would blow a fuse, but probably not cause any more damage than that.  Maybe you could move them to the other side of the subframe if there is enough slack on the wires.

Almost certainly no chance of fire or anything like that.  The double sided tape may melt, which wouldnt do anything other than make the resistors fall from off of the tape.  Maybe try zip ties, placed on the wires coming out of the resistors, rather than right on the resistors?  If that's possible?  I dont have this kit, so that's about the most help I can give you without seeing it.

did you find the tool kit? since you bought the bike used, maybe the previous owner decided that he thought he needed it worse than you :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
B.C. said:
Here is what I did: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=38144.0 There is some discussion in that thread about what to do with the resistors. I am pretty sure that they get hot enough to melt your double sided tape and pull off of the frame. Zip ties seem to be working fine.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Here's that pic I promised yesterday.

I don't remember the size drill I used, or the intended purpose of the hole, but it works well.
Keeps the prop rod from bouncing around and up off my paperwork

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey that's cool. I know what the prop rod thing a ma jig does but why would you not just keep it in your garage??? What is the likely hood of needing it out when you are ridding??? Hope that is not to dumb a question.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
B.C. said:
... Hope that is not to dumb a question.
The only dumb questions around here involve karma and oil :D

I have it in there because I'm absentminded and unlucky at times. The tank prop rod will be the last thing on my mind when I'm rushing about to take the bike in for service. Don't want to be halfway there are remember it's still in my toolbox. Might be handy as a fishing rod holder or marshmallow roasting stick too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts