Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on a group ride today with some Pittsburgh boardmembers. Got to meet Bruce (04YellowSVs) and hook back up with Dan (PGHRider) and Trevor (T-Bone) We even had a surprise visit by the Great OrangeGilly ;D

We had planned an all day ride down through rt 250 in West Virginia. It is a damn nice road. very twisty and smooth. A little too much gravel. Dan hit some and lowsided about 50 miles into the 170+ planned. He slid under the guardrail and messed his bike up bad. Forks are shot, tach is toast, headlight may or may not be repairable. Someone must like him though. All he got was a raspberry on his knee and assorted aches and pains. I turned around to get my truck while the other 4 stayed with him in the woods of the Wild and Wooly. And they all stayed with him the whole four hours it took me to do the round trip (I live 107 miles from the crash)
I was totally shocked when I pulled back in and saw everyone there. Good guys to hang out while I'm off playing towtruck duty. 'Gilly said someone should have come with me in case I got hit by a bus or something, but I know it was they were afraid I would get lost ;) Anyhow, Dan's back home in one piece, and I now have ever more respect for my fellow board members, to stick with Dan, even when they had a long drive to get back home, even as far as Cranberry and Cleveland... just don't tell me what you said about me while I was gone. I don't want image I have shattered

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Wow, bike under the guard rail and he's up and walking around? Damn lucky.

I'm glad Dan seems OK, but sorry to hear about the bike. I hope it's soon fixed and Dan is back riding.

I'm constantly impressed by the people you meet on this board, whether directly or just through cyberspace. This is a great community.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Glad to hear you're alright Dan !! This seems to be a reoccuring theme with SV riders, in that they're pretty much always there to help a fellow rider. I wonder how many other groups of riders have the same ethos.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Glad to hear Dan is OK!!

It is true about the members of this board, I don't doubt that any of us would leave anyone in that situation - and that does make us a pretty special bunch! :)

G

·
Glad to see he's ok!  :eek:  Thats why I like this board, everyone is very helpfull and  even wear GEAR for crying out loud.  Much better then my 'native mfg's' main board ::).   Its a forum of NORMAL people....well most anyway.  ;D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I spent a month in pitt back in 2000.

The first thing out of my mouth was, I don't know how people can ride a motorcycle here. The roads are horrible.:(

Glad to hear that dan is OK.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
It was great meeting everyone, and actually getting to know Dan, Trevor, and Bruce. Shaun, unfortunately, I didn't get to talk with you all that much, but it was nice meeting you, too (again ;) ). As nice as you thought we were for staying with Dan, you should give yourself just as much credit for being the gopher. Major props to you, my friend. And besides, we couldn't just leave him there........I think I heard banjos playing from the woods..... :eek: ;D There's strength in numbers, you know.

On to the crash.....It was eerily similar to the crash Fatass SVS had a couple months ago. Decreasing radius left-hander, no obvious reason - just tucked the front wheel into a lowside, bike into guardrail, rider (relatively) fine with very little physical damage, bent forks, and assorted rashed up plastic. The only difference was that I didn't SEE it happen.

I was running probably 100 yards or so behind Dan, who was in the lead. I saw dust and gravel fly, but Dan was far enough around the corner that I couldn't see what happened. I DID see Dan climb back OVER the guardrail as I came up on him!! :eek: Yeah, he went under the guardrail between the fenceposts and somehow walked away from it!! I am amazed and thankful he wasn't hurt worse. Well, until he spoke to the wife, of course. :D

Here's a link to all the pics I took today: http://photobucket.com/albums/y236/orangegilly/PGHRIDER Crash/

Password is svrider.

Some pics for you lazy forum members:

Maybe I should change my screenname to "Grim Reaper." :-X

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Pshhhhhht ! That'll buff right out. ::)

After seeing the evidence, I'm DAMN glad to hear PGH is OKay.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm just glad I wasn't on that ride.... seeing two people crash this year is enough for me.....

Yikes.... Glad Dan's okay and everyone else is..... Keith - Nothing like sitting out int he middle of no where huh??? Too bad you didn't have the great view we had in Redneckville, OH.... The "kid's" (some 16, some 20 some 30 or 40) that would cruise main street.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
AT LEAST we were only about 3 miles from a small town that we went to to buy drinks/food. I was having flashbacks to Jim's crash. Weird. I guess I shouldn't ride with other 1st gen blue SVs. :-\

I'm just glad TBone didn't snap any pics of Dan riding b!tch on the back of my bike. lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
Damn that must have sucked, glad you made it alright.

I saw someone had a Jardine exhaust in the first pic, I believe that was Dan, obiviously not the greatest time to ask but how do you like the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Man... those SM Bar's were crunched..... Holy cow.

So you got to ride two up huh.... And you chickened out when Jim needed a ride... I see how it is.... Next time you're getting the passenger... :p

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
orangegilly said:
And besides, we couldn't just leave him there........I think I heard banjos playing from the woods..... :eek:   ;D  There's strength in numbers, you know. 

Ah hah seems like you hung around for some romance Orangegilly. :D

Dan you are lucky that you are unhurt, from the damage to the bike it could have been much worse, glad it wasn't.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
AlexJ said:
Ah hah seems like you hung around for some romance Orangegilly. :D
Yeah, Alex. That's it. ::)

wacky_woodchuck said:
So you got to ride two up huh.... And you chickened out when Jim needed a ride... I see how it is.... Next time you're getting the passenger... :p
Well, it was either me or TBone that had to step up. He had his luggage locker on the back seat, so it would have been a pain to find another place for it. And of course, Bruce only had about 350 miles experience on his new SV, so he didn't feel all that comfortable, so that left me. Like I said, we couldn't just leave him there....

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
orangegilly said:
...I'm just glad TBone didn't snap any pics of Dan riding b!tch on the back of my bike. lol
For a nominal fee, we'll ensure the pics never surface ;)
Paypal is accepted

1 - 20 of 27 Posts