Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Fear of getting my bike stolen

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  street1212 
#1 ·
Hi, I just thought I'd get some thoughts on my worries about having my bike stolen.

I live in London, UK and from stuff like this it looks like if a bike isn't chained to something all the time, it will disappear: 15,000 mopeds and motorbikes stolen in a year It's supposedly a lot less now, after the police posted ramming thieves on bikes.

My bike is SV650S 2k and looks as bad as I can make it look. I've removed the side fairings just to make it look bad (although I like it better that way), with the fairing holders sticking out.

I've got an ABUS disk lock, and a thickish bicycle chain (weak for motorbike) that I use on the rear wheel even if I leave the bike for 10 minutes, with the steering lock. Also, I've got a proper bike chain I use to lock it at home (10kg, 16mm, supposedly only removable with an angle grinder). I could lug that around in a GIVI top case (whcih I have but is usually unmounted) which I'd need to put solely for driving the chain around. I'm a bit worried the chain could slide around the box and take me off balance in a corner, as I'm not a very experienced rider.

The motorcyle bays rarely have something to chain the bike to, so even when carrying the chain it could still be loaded in a van.

My main defence is that the bike is probably worth too little to be worth the hassle for the thieves.

Does it look like I'm worrying way too much?

See less See more
#2 ·
My feeling is that you're worrying too much. I'm not sure how insurance works over there but in US we have 'comprehensive' and that'll cover a stolen bike.
Sounds like steps you're taking are sufficient to deter thieves.

Based on your description, sounds like you're is pretty ratty. I believe that thieves are looking for parts bikes. Not sure how much demand there is for a bike that old.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Even if it is Ratty it's still not nice when a Motorcycle gets stolen. BTSTGTTS :(

Couple of cheap things to add security,

1: Cheap motorcycle Alarm,

2:

and if you have an old Android phone about as I do install the free Globio app,

and stick it under your rear seat when parked up(You need a PAYG sim in it). I have mine set to be silent but triggered by the Alarm sound to send me a text and email if activated :)

Remember that the fixed alarm will use battery juice but if you are using the Bike everyday it's not an issue. I have a Step charger I hook my Bike up to when not in use :)

#6 ·
I guess I'm doing most of the things that need to be done. I just need to get used to the thought that it is unlikely for it to get stolen and life goes on even if it does.

For the insurance, with the oldish bikes I've had, I prefer Third party only. I imagine I'd be actually saving money even if my bike gets stolen about once every 5-6 years and I just buy another one due to the No claims bonus I'd lose on a theft claim and saving on Third party vs Comprehensive. I may be wrong.

I could do the thing with the android phone, if it is stolen and then recovered, it may be thrashed but at least I could sell it for spares. Could take the cover as well, put that in the top box with the chain and just get used to riding like that. And the chain is actually less likely to move around if the cover is under it.

I can imagine parking next to a brand new race bike with just a D-lock on and locking mine up like crazy. It will look rediculous :) Anyway, thanks for the advice!

#7 ·
These comments are nuts to me... "Get insurance and don't worry" I've had people get their bikes stolen and the insurance denied the claim. Now your only option is a civil case. Not to mention your premium goes up as well as other insurers premium. I live in NYC and the bike theft game is real out here, you don't secure your bike it's going to disappear sooner or later. To insure my 09 R1, full coverage used to cost around $2500 a year. This is with no accident or any claim on my record and I'm 40, but I was in my 30's when they quoted me the price. I chose to secure my bike and not give the insurance my money. Almost 10 years later I'm up about $24,000 by not paying that price and keeping my bike secured. With the saving, even if it gets stolen or I crashed, i already bought the bike back three folds. What I did with my bike was put a GPS tracking unit in it. Cost about $100 a year and it works perfectly. You're alerted it the bike breaks your selected geofence, if the power is cut that battery last a few hours, and its so small you can put it anywhere. The listing below is what I got and it works 100%. The only added thing I did was insert a toggle switch in the line to turn it off when it's secured in my garage or else it will kill the battery in a few days if it's not on a tender

#8 ·
I've had people get their bikes stolen and the insurance denied the claim.
that's interesting... wonder what the justification used was.

every insurance claim i've ever had, I've come out ahead. crashes, theft, whatever. And premiums can only bump like 10% from a claim, so STILL well ahead. Then again I pay like $600 a year for to the gills of full coverage for 5 bikes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.