Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1477 Posts

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come from a long line of Harley riders. My dad, step mom, sister and brother in law all own harleys. My uncle Roy was one of the first in the family to get one, back in 1993. He got a new '94 sportster, and rode it for six years. When the twin cam engine came out in '99 on most of the line, he put his name on the waiting list for a new, 2000 Fatboy. In order to get on the list he had to write a $5000 check to parts counter. Well, six months later, a red fatboy showed up at the dealership and he got to live out a 12 year old's fantasy shopping spree in the HD parts department. Fast forward a few years and my dad picked up a 2004 Softail Deuce. So now my dad and his brother had nice bikes, and my step mom wanted in on the fun, one v-rod later and she's still smiling. Unfortunately, around the time she got her bike, my uncle started feeling really sick. Turns out it was esophageal cancer. I did everything in my power to buy a bike before he passed away, but I was fresh out of school and just scraping by. I desperately wanted to ride with my uncle before he died, but in 2008 that dream died with him. In a bittersweet turn of events, he left his fatboy to me. So at least now I can ride with him in spirit...

I'm rambling, let's move on. Anyway, in 2010, Biya bought her SV. It was supposed to be a temporary bike until we could buy her the Monster she really wanted. As I'm sure has been the case with a lot of you here she has since changed her mind and is head over heals in love with her SV. The trouble is, so am I.

Here's where things get interesting. I spent 15 hours in the car with my parents. I was telling them about how I want to get my own SV in another year two after a profit sharing check and a tax return or two. He asked what will happen to my uncle Roy's fatboy. Well, truth be told I will not be putting a lot of miles on it. He was my uncle, but he was my dad's brother too. So my dad threw out an idea. He offered to trade me the fatboy for his deuce, with the understanding that I'll be selling it right away. So the fatboy will go to someone who will appreciate it as much as I do, it stays in the family, and I get an SV and some extra cash out of the deal.

Long (really long) story short, I'll soon the former owner of an '04 deuce and then the new owner of an SV. I have a very specific idea of what I want. 2005 or newer S. Hopefully it will be easy to sell the hd, I would rather not deal with a dealership.

I'll miss the fatty for sure, but it will be in hands that love it as much as I do but will also ride it. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me rephrase my first post, for those who may be unwilling/unable to read.

I'm getting an SV.

Better? I'm sure others will be interested in a very personal story that happens to be a huge life event for me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
story definitely isn't too long... sorry to hear you sort of have to get rid of the fatboy, but at least it stays in the family :). good luck with the buying of an sv

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Sounds like an awesome deal. The bike stays in the family, you get the bike you want, Harley still gets ridden, and I would imagine you could still take it for the occasional spin.

Best of luck to you on the endeavour.

As for selling the other bike, take it to a dealer and see what They will give you, mark it up 1 or 2 k, and it should sell pretty quick.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sounds like win-win for everybody involved :D I bet your dad is really happy, that's awesome the fatty is staying where it belongs.
Now go get thee an SV!!!!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

My dad is super excited. I asked if he had any attachment to his bike and he said "I couldn't care less about the deuce, but I'd give anything to have Roy's bike". So yeah, it's looking like a win win.

Chris, I looked into nada trade in value and it's only about $500 less than what others are listed for on craigslist, so technically I've already done that. Just not in person. Trade in isn't out of the question, but private party will be easier to find the exact SV I want, and probably for a fair amount less $. I've got plans for the money left over after the deal, and some of it will go towards a few initial mods on the SV. And maybe a few things for Biya's while we're at it. ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Congrats Fatty! Hopefully I'll get to see you and Biya's SV's at some point. Glad to hear the fatboy can stay in the family and you can join our ranks for real

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Nice story and I'm glad you didn't sell or trade the Fatboy. You should have no problem selling it on Craigslist or local ads and you should be able to find a 2005 or newer SV for a decent price.

Also, I agree.. Don't get involved with a dealership or Ebay for that matter. Do it yourself with the least amount of hassle or fees.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Well by spring you'll have an SV, and mine will be back in this area of the state, and the roads will be shmit free. We might need to meet up somewhere and go for a ride!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all the positive responses. This is a huge deal for me, for my dad, and for Biya. Heck, she learned to ride on the fatboy.

My ultimate goal is a black framed S model with a color matched belly pan and seat cowl. I really like that look. Long long term plans would include a paint job, but color will be a secret. Biya's gets repainted first. If a gladius popped up in the spring for $4k or less I'd have to think pretty hard about it. But no naked SV for me, that's decided.

Carpe, off roader, Rayobot, fastlil1... You guys can count on a meetup in the spring. We still have to plan our cage party in January or February. ;)

1 - 20 of 1477 Posts