Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum. Just got an '00 off Ebay. Busy changing all fluids, new tires (Pilot Powers) next week. I've been reading this forum for tip and ideas, such as the tires. The forum has been a great source of info and help.

I'm going to put 20w in the forks (still stock springs for now) wondered if there are any suggestions other than factory (102mm) oil height and any suggestions for extra preload spacer length or sag settings other than the 22mm recomended by Sonic springs on their tech page.

This is my first street bike in quite some time. I chose it for the low prive, upright position, and the cool standard look. The first gen frame is what really got me.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
So how fat are ya? ;D

I'd give some serious thought to picking up some springs that are the proper rate for your weight, as the stockers were meant for about a 145-160# rider. If you're over 200#, then you'll soon find yourself wanting more support. I may even be so bold as to say it's almost dangerous for a larger rider to ride the stock suspension.

G

·
22mm is sag without you.you can get that number no problem but when you sit on bike it will be to much sag.you need to balance static sag and total sag with right spring.like post above from orangegilly say,you need stiffer springs.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
There is a problem with putting 20w oil in with out replacing the springs. If you put 20w in you will notice serious problems when you hit a bump and the springs take a while to rebound because the oil is so thick. Now if you replace the spring with Sonic or Progressive you can add the 20w oil without this issue because the new spring will be able to overcome the oil thickness. Just my two cents man. I am over 200 lbs as well so DEFINITELY replace those springs. Its under 100 for the parts and if you know how to turn a wrench it will take you no time.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Like the other guys suggest, stiffer fork springs will make a big difference. Probably a .95 rate, maybe a 1.0 if you're an aggressive rider. If you're in a cash bind and don't want to do springs right away changing the fork oil will help some. Use 15w with the stock springs, set at 105mm. It won't be wonderful but it'll be better than it is now.
Also, we recommend 30-35mm of sag, not 22mm.

G

·
NHSVnaked said:
There is a problem with putting 20w oil in with out replacing the springs. If you put 20w in you will notice serious problems when you hit a bump and the springs take a while to rebound because the oil is so thick. Now if you replace the spring with Sonic or Progressive you can add the 20w oil without this issue because the new spring will be able to overcome the oil thickness. Just my two cents man. I am over 200 lbs as well so DEFINITELY replace those springs. Its under 100 for the parts and if you know how to turn a wrench it will take you no time.
are you saying that if you are lighter rider you should use light oil?
there is no pressure between oil and spring.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
TWF said:
Rich,I think we are talking about 2 different sags,static and total.
if not than 22 is wrong like you say.
Yeah, I know that's what you meant. :) He was referencing the Sonic site though, and we don't mention 22mm anywhere on it. There is 32mm used in an example, he probably mis-read or mis-typed the number. No biggie, I just wanted to clarify so that other people reading this thread wouldn't start thinking that 22mm was the correct total sag.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
From what I hear when the springs are commpressed the oil is forced through holes that help with the shock abosorbing and the thicker the oil the the slower it moves through the holes. Now if you put thicker oil in the shocks but do NOT upgrade the springs the oil will move through those holes quickly enough and the STOCK spring is so weak that in the end 20 wt will hurt you more than help. Thats what I heard from guys who have done it/mechanics.

G

·
NHSVnaked said:
From what I hear when the springs are commpressed the oil is forced through holes that help with the shock abosorbing and the thicker the oil the the slower it moves through the holes. Now if you put thicker oil in the shocks but do NOT upgrade the springs the oil will move through those holes quickly enough and the STOCK spring is so weak that in the end 20 wt will hurt you more than help. Thats what I heard from guys who have done it/mechanics.
\
spring does not push oil,fork leg does.
just think of oil where spring is as reservoir.like in motor where you have oil sitting in bottom of cases and oil pump is pumping it from there.in forks oil pump is fork leg.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Yes the spring does not push the oil the legs do but what I am saying is that the OIL and the Spring act TOGETHER to create the spring in the front. If you upgrade the Oil to much and not the spring it can have an adverse affect to what you are trying to do. Agree?

G

·
NHSVnaked said:
Yes the spring does not push the oil the legs do but what I am saying is that the OIL and the Spring act TOGETHER to create the spring in the front. If you upgrade the Oil to much and not the spring it can have an adverse affect to what you are trying to do. Agree?
no.in your case very light riders would use 2W oil because they are using light spring.
in which case they would ride on springs only with no damping from oil.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Also, as a fat guy he's going to have to load the stock springs a lot to get 35mm sag, so they would rebound faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts