Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. (Feel free to scold me with links if I just missed the threads. :) )

I'm looking for the fastest way to clean the SV's chain. What do you use, and how long does it take you to clean? Also, do you flush with water (or something else) before applying the new grease/lubricant?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I tried doing it with Simple Green the first couple times. The Last time I use kerosene and it went much faster & came out better. let it evap, then used the Teflon lube.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Having a rear stand makes the job a 10min one. I use kerosene (in a spray bottle), wipe clean, then lubricate (one of your choice).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
if you have a rear stand or a buddy you can do it in less than 5 minutes. i like to wipe it down real good with some simple green. get all that off of it. then spray chain lube onto a side of the chain (from the middle), wipe it off. do the other side, wipe it off. call it good! when i say spray it from the middle i mean from the middle of the chain length wise, that way you get a good lube on all links, both inside and out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rear stand is definately the way to go. Makes it a 10 minute job. I use Kerosene, clean it good let it sit for a bit to dry off and then hit it with the lube.

Troy

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Rear stand, grunge brush, kero in a spray bottle and some old rags. I always like to take a 3-5 mile spin after the cleaning to really blow out any residual kero and put some heat in the chain before lubing it. 15-20mins max with the ride included.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice link^^^^

I've cleaned mine with WD 40 and made a mess of everything. The kerosene, toothbrush and rag look like a pretty clean way to go.
I use the same chain wax and am wondering, from those that use the same, how much over spray I should be concerned with on the tires? I'm paranoid about it and think I may not be putting enough wax on the chain. --- Any input?

NO WATER.... I do know that.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
This video does a pretty good job of explaining how to clean a chain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80CESYb6bbM

I don't use a rear stand (don't have one yet) and its a much longer job but still do-able.
While watching that it reminded me to keep flossing daily. A grunge or an OXO grout/scrub brush would have taken less time then a small ass head tooth brush. But that's about what I do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
+1 to video link.. i basically followed it

clean:

scrub (w/ girlfriend's toothbrush):

After a good scrub w/ the toothbrush and old t-shirt, I take it for a short ride around the block

lube:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use the aluminum HF rear stand but than again I work on my own bike, if you don't do oil changes, tires or any other type of work on your bike than this is a nice item to clean wheels and chain with.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use the aluminum HF rear stand but than again I work on my own bike, if you don't do oil changes, tires or any other type of work on your bike than this is a nice item to clean wheels and chain with.
it's $40 for the rear stand and $30 for the wheel cleaner thing.. c'mon

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow, interesting timing, I just got finished cleaning mine. I used kerosene to clean. Poured a little bit on a rag, just enough to get it wet, and used that to clean the chain. Waited a few minutes to let it dry then use the Teflon spray.

I don't have a rear stand so it took a little longer, but not very much. Now that I know what I'm doing it took less time than it did to clean my Ninja250 chain, and that has a center stand.

Didn't think of taking it for a ride inbetween cleaning and using the Teflon, that's a good idea, I'll do that next time. I'll also remember to shake the Teflon spray before using next time...I finished the job and then realized the spray had been sitting for about 6 months and I didn't even shake it. Oh well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The one time I've done chain cleaning so far I used Bean Clean degreaser (it says it's o-ring safe):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-chain-cleaner/bean-clean/

and a Quick Stand (which is a great, cheap, and handy-for-touring alternative to a center stand or rear stand):

http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand.htm

It took me forever, mostly because I rinsed off the chain after using the degreaser on it and then had a hard time making sure it was completely dry and free of degreaser. It doesn't seem to make sense to either just let the degreaser dry on the chain or to even wipe it off with a towel rather than rinse it off (since Bean Clean is water soluble). I just don't get why you can leave remnants of a degreaser on the chain and put new grease on there. Won't the degreaser break down your newly applied lube?

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. The one time I've done chain cleaning so far I used Bean Clean degreaser (it says it's o-ring safe):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-chain-cleaner/bean-clean/
That and the Motrax stuff work and work well but how many cans will you go thru in just one season?? And how much are each can costing you??

One 120oz jug of this (non smelly) kerosene with a simple $1 spray bottle lasts 2 to 3 years since I ride year round. Cost wise it can't be beat and it cleans your chain as well as the other two.

When that bean stuff runs out try plain old kero and see how you like it.

:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here in rainey (road gunk) oregon, that jug of kerosene only makes it half the yr for me, and I don't commute on the bike. Just like to ride. My sprockets end up with a lot of gunk on them as well which that video doesn't show cleaning. Other than that, my routine is similar. It takes me a while to clean the chain, but I'm also a little anal bout gettin everything off. Kerosene just dries up. I like to clean everything off. Have a cigarette. Take the bike for a spin. Come back. Then it's dry, and ready for lube.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts