Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a slight problem with false neutral while riding my '03 SV. It seems to happen in the higher gears more. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For me the SV (1G) has been considerably better than most when it comes to false neutrals. The only thing I can suggest is that you check your shift linkage to make sure that it's adjusted to fit you properly; you may not be getting a positive upshift.

:)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Also, shift more forcefully.

Or try the GP-shift pattern. It's a done a lot for me. I have gotten a false neutral maybe 3 times now.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is a false neutral between 5th and 6th. I'm not sure how many others have experienced it but I do know that others have reported it happening to them. It's happened to me about 3 times over 4000 miles since I've had my bike (04 bought new). Only happens when I'm running high speed and rpm's on the highway (yeah, yeah save it for the track I know...) ::)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am found that in 1st if I don't shift forcefully, it does not always go in and makes a rather loud noise. I thought about changing to GP shift, but then I have to remember when anyone rides my bike to tell them as well as I have to remember that most other bikes are not GP shift. Like I said, it is not a huge deal. I am glad to hear it has happened to someone else although it has happened more than that to me. Maybe it is just me :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
SV jerseygirl said:
Hi,

I have a slight problem with false neutral while riding my '03 SV. It seems to happen in the higher gears more. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

I've experienced the same thing with my '03 when shifting up from 5th to 6th and when down shifting to 5th. Seems to occur a few times and then goes away. I don't believe it's been dependent upon when I last did an oil change.

Cageless...

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
SV jerseygirl said:
but then I have to remember when anyone rides my bike to tell them as well as I have to remember that most other bikes are not GP shift.
I don't think I'd feel comfortable letting just anyone ride my bike, it's personal choice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
By GP shift I assume you mean 5down 1 up (reversed pattern right?) how would one do that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
what does that mean...false neutral?

·
Registered
703 Posts
risky_analyst said:
what does that mean...false neutral?
It's not a true neutral like you have between 1st and 2nd gear. Rather it's like dead spot in the gearing this one being between 5th and 6th. Gives all the indications of a neutral, which is kind of spooky when you're doing 75-80 mph and get heavy on the throttle only to find high rpm's and no power.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Here's the mantra.
- Make sure your oil is clean, and use a diesel-specific oil (Rotella, Delo, Delvac, etc.).
- Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly, especially the lever under the front sprocket cover.
- Make sure the shift linkage is lubricated (at the spherical joints).
- Make sure the shift linkage is at a good angle. You adjust the vertical position using the connecting bar, which works like a turnbuckle. Once you have the level where you want it you need to check that the lever arm on the transmission and the lever on the foot peg are as parrallel as possible. Usually they will be close enough. If they are at too much of an angle you may have to remove the shaft from the transmission and rotate it one tooth forward or backward.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I get a false neutral between 5th and 6th on rare occasions. Not enough to really concern me. I think normally it's my lack of positive shifting rather than any real problem with the bike.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Apollo1777 said:
wow, so does that mean that ANYONE can do that on their stock bike?!? I would love to be able to do a clutchless-upshift mid-left-turn without having to stick my boot on the pavement to get my foot under the shift lever...
Yep. I've had a couple false neutrals happen with my '04. Most memorable was shifting down between 4th-3rdth and braking before turn one at VIR. :eek:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
ride more. seriously. the sv gear box is real clunky with lower milage on it. mine now (15k miles) shifts like butter. also as some suggested flip the gear patter its super simple takes some getting used to but is much better. oh yah and use a good synthetic oil works wonder.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
B.a. said:
ride more. seriously. the sv gear box is real clunky with lower milage on it. mine now (15k miles) shifts like butter. also as some suggested flip the gear patter its super simple takes some getting used to but is much better. oh yah and use a good synthetic oil works wonder.
This is very true. The SV transmission becomes fully broken in at about 3000 miles. Try adjusting the shift lever to your taste and see if that helps. Otherwise, shift harder!!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Apollo1777 said:
wow, so does that mean that ANYONE can do that on their stock bike?!? I would love to be able to do a clutchless-upshift mid-left-turn without having to stick my boot on the pavement to get my foot under the shift lever...
pssst Apollo let's try to limit our searches and responses to threads less then 4 weeks old. This one died on Aug 11, 2005. But thanks for your input on the matter.

:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
same problem a few times... adjusted linkage a bit.... but i think it was mostly just being soft on the shirfter with my boot... do it more forcefully. but dont shift it like your trying to kickstart a old a$$ harley or something hahaha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts