Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I will appreciate any and all input offered.

I am a previous SV650s and R6 owner, but have been without a bike for about five years. I haven't lost the itch though.

A coworker is trying to sell a silver '02 SV650s that his wife purchased new. It has 850 miles on it, and has not been ridden in about four years. It has been stored outside in both Richmond, Va and Charlotte, NC - neither extreme or salty climates, though somewhat humid.

He had the carbs cleaned this year, changed the oil, replaced the battery, and probably had some other misc small items done. It will not start, and he does not have the time to mess with it. I have not seen the bike, but it is apparently in very good condition, just probably rotted from lack of use. It has been lowered, which I will have to change, and obviously the original tires will have to go.

He told me to make an offer. What is fair? What major problems, if any, does anyone foresee?

Thanks for hearing me out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
$1000.00 would work since you may have to drop another $1000 to get it up to snuff after tires, chain, carbs, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
It has been stored outside in both Richmond, Va and Charlotte, NC - neither extreme or salty climates, though somewhat humid.
Every bit of rubber, ie. tires, hoses brakes and clutch, coolant, fuel, drain, vacuum......throttlebody, maybe even diaphrams...etc

Flush fluids, ie....brakes, coolant

Replace spark plug

It doesn't start because he possibly didn't have the petcock cleaned or is BSing you about the carbs. He ought to just give it to you, after all, sounds like you're doing him a favor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
...wait til you get the bike home for $1000 before you hook up the vacuum hose he left off so you can actually get some gas into the carbs, which they HOPEFULLY drained and flushed when they did the carbs...or maybe they didn't get the mouse nest out of the air cleaner?

Either way, for $1000 you can't get hurt, and you are def. going to replace everything on the list above.

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts
aim for $1000. it's probably something stupid, but you're gonna need to sink a bunch of money into it even after you get it running

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Who purchases an new cycle in '02, rides it for 850 mi, and leaves it sit outside for 10 years?

There may be internal corrosion issues from the high humidity and weather, as well as a ton of other problems related to being outside. $500 not running would be my offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that it will crank but not start.

I do not know the circumstances of the bike's use - or lack of use. I also do not know if the bike has always lived outside, or only since it was moved to Charlotte, about five years ago.

I am planning to take a look at it this w/e.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also, not every buyer or seller has the ability to part out the bike. If you don't have a garage, parting out is pretty much a lost cause. I would suggest if you truly don't have the space to work on the bike, I would pass on any bike that doesn't run. Only bikes I would buy were bikes that I could prove would run with either gas or a new battery.

When I wrecked my 636, I had to work on my bike in two different friends garages, because I didn't have a garage of my own. That was the only way I could leave pieces laying around for a few days till I could find time to work on the bike.

A bike that doesn't run, and you don't have the time or space to accomodate to it, is really just a headache in disguise. Even more so when you don't know why the bike doesn't run in the first place. I'd say $500, with a garage to work on the bike, is a fair trade. You don't know if something is seized in the motor or there could just be a very minor electrical issue. I've seen these deals work out for $50 or $2500, and you really never know where you fall till it's all said and done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the opinions.

I do plan on taking a look at the bike this weekend. It will also give me a chance to get more information - I haven't had a chance to discuss the bike's history in detail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts