Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has advice about emissions. Lulubelle just failed her idle test. Not a shocker really, I usually reek of rich exhaust whenever I ride. The bike now has 44,450 miles on her, and has a Power Commander III with a Yosh RS3 slip on (from the PO). I have an SV1000 snorkel and a 3/8" tank lift as well. The air filter, however is a (new) stock paper element. The engine definitely needs some valve and cam chain adjustments as well.

I know diddly about tuning. Any thoughts? Maybe disconnect the PCIII? My goal is to just get past emissions at this point. I'm not real excited about taking it in to a Shop and spending $$$.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Is the PAIR still on the bike? It can and will help you pass the sniffer if it is working as it lets clean air into the exhaust. If the PCIII is set very rich at idle/low rpm's, then you might want to disconnect it for the test or reprogram it for a cleaner setting.

If the valves are grossly out of adjustment they could make you fail too. Along with the various sensor adjustments that need to be right. If you are smelling fuel in the exhaust after/during a ride something is really out of whack.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob,

I'll investigate the PAIR system and try disconnecting the PCIII. Thanks. It may just be time to bite the bullet and take this thing in for the grand service. That's not going to be cheap though...

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Also check your TPS reading on your PCIII. Those get wacky occasionally, and if it is reading 10% when no throttle is applied, that will likely richen you up(depends on maps though).

I suggest this because I just rode an SV1000 that came into a shop with the PCIII reading 10% throttle opening at idle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I had a fun weekend pulling apart things to check on the PAIR system.

First I removed the PCIII entirely. I noticed that the PO had spliced a connector on the PCIII harness itself. The splice then was tied directly into the rear cylinder injector wiring feed. Weird. Any one know why they would have done this?

I brought the PCIII in to connect to my desktop computer. It's map was set for a full Yosh exhaust/stock filter - but since I'm not all that familiar with the software, I wasn't sure if it had been tweaked or not from that base map. Anyway, I'm keeping it off for now.

Then I pulled both PAIR reed valves, soaked them in Kerosene, then scraped/cleaned off the carbon. Both seemed to work before I cleaned them - they weren't stuck open or closed by build-up. At any rate, they are clean now.

I tested the solenoid per the shop manual. It's is functioning and the resistance is in spec.

Lastly I made sure the PAIR hoses were not blocked.

I then checked all the other hoses/connections and everything seems good.

I reattached the stock harness (sans PCIII), and reassembled everything else. She fired right up and ran smooth. A little test ride up through the revs/gears and all seems well. I didn't notice the usual rich smell, but I can't be sure yet.

One disappointing bit was trying to adjust the idle after I had everything buttoned-up. I realized that turning the screw in either direction has NO effect. Not sure if it's stripped or disconnected. I'll have to look into it the next time I have everything off. So my idle is more or less the same as it was before - high at around 1400 rpm. During the previous test I held the throttle closed to drop it to 1200 rpm. Guess I will have to do the same next time. Any thoughts on this?

Off for a re-test later this week. Wish me luck!

Todd

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips. Turns out the throttle bodies were way out of sync. Just passed!

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts