Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a used F3 wheel, complete with the TWF bearing/spacer kit, a few months ago and did the install. Went pretty smoothly.

Tonight, while inspecting my rear brake pads, I made a startling discovery: almost 1/2" of the outermost portion of the pads were unused -- they were just hanging off the edge of the rotor!

After doing a bit of research here, I discovered that the first-gen SVs came with 240mm rotors, while the F3s came with 220mm rotors. Hmmm....difference of 10mm in radius....10mm = a bit under 1/2". Bingo!

It never crossed my mind to compare rotor sizes, since the F3 wheel mod seemed to be so ubiquitous, that I thought identical rotor sizes were a given.

Not that I use the rear brake much anyway, but this will obviously lead to some rather interesting pad wear, not to mention the decreased braking efficiency.....is this something to be concerned about? What are other first-gen owners with F3 wheels doing? Andy? Zoran?

T

·
0 Posts
I tought you checked Andy'es site where it say to bevel outside edge of pads.
other solution is to buy bigger rotor or make caliper hanger.
Galfer makes rotor that is bigger and fits.I believe it is rotor for honda africa twin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TWF said:
I tought you checked Andy'es site where it say to bevel outside edge of pads.
other solution is to buy bigger rotor or make caliper hanger.
Galfer makes rotor that is bigger and fits.I believe it is rotor for honda africa twin.
Hmm, I've been to Andy's site, and it does not mention beveling of pads...besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but beveling is done to ease wheel installation, not to account for nearly 40% of unused pad material, no? ??? His site does mention having to either space "out" the rotor or space "in" the calipers, but that is to account for the difference in lateral positioning of the rotor -- not the difference in diameter.

I'm not opposed to buying a bigger rotor if it fits. Honda Africa Twin = XL600V Transalp?

T

·
0 Posts
outside edge of pad is beveled so pad does not wrap around rotor after it gets worn out.
even with smaller pad there is enough brake power.I bevel my on all for sides and leave only about 1/2 inch square in middle,but I never touch rear brake either.
I think it is 750 honda dirt bike,not sure exactly.one of those they raced in Paris-Dakar.

·
Registered
93 Posts
quasi888 said:
His site does mention having to either space "out" the rotor or space "in" the calipers, but that is to account for the difference in lateral positioning of the rotor -- not the difference in diameter.
Thats actually my fault, after Zoran checked the page after I first wrote it, he mentioned that I should put something in there about that. I did, but I wanted to take some pictures of it, and then I ended up forgetting ::) I have a set of pads that show the area to be beveled, I'll take a couple of pictures and sort that out tonight.

Andy

·
Registered
419 Posts
woah - so is this a problem on the 2nd gen SV's? I'm using a Galfer F3 wave rotor on mine - I'm assuming it's the stock F3 size, but is that the same as the 04 SV?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RedAggie03 said:
woah - so is this a problem on the 2nd gen SV's? I'm using a Galfer F3 wave rotor on mine - I'm assuming it's the stock F3 size, but is that the same as the 04 SV?
No, you don't have this problem because they went with a 220mm rear rotor size on 2nd-gen SVs -- same as F3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
quasi888 said:
Thanks Andy. So is your new wave rotor made for the F3, or something else?
It's an F3 rotor. The pics will be from the stock F3 rotor (currently on ebay :) ) on SV pads. They only had about 25% left when I did the swap, so I didn't bother bevelling them, I just let them wear, that way I could figure out what the wear pattern would be. I don't beleive it's an issue unless the pads wear so much that it affects the clamping force on the rotor, which is going to take a while. Considering it took me over 60K to wear out the original rear pads, that won't be an issue for a few months :)

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts