Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a couple of messages about this in the forum, but no finished projects. Would it be possible to wind up with an externally adjustable cartridge fork and keep the front wheel, brakes and gauges?

Maybe it could be my next project!

A

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
yes. It's been done many times before. I thought there were some finished threads on here.

You'll get adjustable forks, but you'll only be able to adjust the preload and what ever adjuster is on top (compression or rebound, I forget which).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And you'll lose ~3/4" of fork travel.
I think it also requires machining.
How is it that you lose the fork travel. I did find a completed thread on it, no mention of that. It looks like the forks wind up above the triple, which would be nice for mounting clip ons. No mention of machining anyplace.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
How is it that you lose the fork travel. I did find a completed thread on it, no mention of that. It looks like the forks wind up above the triple, which would be nice for mounting clip ons. No mention of machining anyplace.

I never did it myself but I believe it was Zoran who told me this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Clip ons work great and is one reason I did it. Mine required no machining, only the Suzuki shouldered rotor bolt to take up the space in the fork lower. A very straightforward swap really. They work well but could benefit from a revalve. I played with oil weight to get mine where I am pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Technically they are 94 F2 tubes and cartridges. The 94 was the F2 that went to cart internals. I *think* I compared them when I did it and they were the same and may have shared the same part #'s. This set was slightly bent and had the slightest hint of a crease but I pressed them straight and the "bend" locates on center in the lower clamp. Not ideal in a perfect world, but it was an experiment at the time and has worked fine for 10k miles. With stock valving and heavier oil they do have an effective range of damping adjustment towards the "hard" end of the range.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, are you using the SV wheel? Do the CBR tubes mate to the SV lowers?

Forgive my ignorance.

A

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, the only thing changed is the inner tubes/internals. Also, if you have a "naked" bike you cannot use the stock bars at all. The fork tops don't allow clearance. Actually, you could raise the front waaaay up chopper style but the you would want to add ape hangers to complete the look!

·
Banned
13 Posts
Technically they are 94 F2 tubes and cartridges. The 94 was the F2 that went to cart internals. I *think* I compared them when I did it and they were the same and may have shared the same part #'s.
F4 does not mate with sv. F4 has 43mm tubes. You have F3 tubes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
F4 does not mate with sv. F4 has 43mm tubes. You have F3 tubes.
You are right and wrong. Reread what I typed... I have forks from a 1994 F2. The only F2 that got cartridge internals. The F3's came out in 95 and all had these internals although the cart set up changed for 97-98 models.

·
Banned
13 Posts
You are right and wrong. Reread what I typed... I have forks from a 1994 F2. The only F2 that got cartridge internals. The F3's came out in 95 and all had these internals although the cart set up changed for 97-98 models.
you right, sorry. For some reason I was thinking F4 instead 94.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
better to just keep the SV fork lowers and put in ZX6F uppers and cartridges or keep the SV uppers and put in 01-03 GSXR600 cartridges. I've done this for several racers and friends. I've got a whole stash of donor parts and can make the necessary bits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts