Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's obvioulsy a custom job to get the HID's in there. That said, I've done them on my car's in the past. I've put them in my VW 337 before I sold it (that was a kit / plug n' play) and I'm installing them now on my Corrado 1.8T that I'm building. I was changing out my bulbs the other day and I looked in there, HID lamps CAN fit in there. All you need to do is reuse the stock housing and seal it up. Ballst's use less electricity than the stander 55/65W bulbs. I have a set laying around from my previous VW, I gotta try this at least.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there something I'm missing here why I don't see it often on the forums? ???

N

·
0 Posts
New tech, maybe?

• Why don't you give us a run down on HID lights since you're familiar with 'em?
    • What hardware is required (you mentioned a ballast, but isn't there a high voltage power supply too)?
    • How much current do they draw?
    • How much heat do they generate?
    • How long do they last?
    • Are they vibration sensitive?
    • How much do they cost?
    • Anything else you can think of?
Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nc_sv650 said:
New tech, maybe?

• Why don't you give us a run down on HID lights since you're familiar with 'em?
    • What hardware is required (you mentioned a ballast, but isn't there a high voltage power supply too)?
      Bulbs, Ballast's, possibly a relay, & mounting hardware.
    • How much current do they draw?
      Around 35W's
    • How much heat do they generate?
      Not much, less W's
    • How long do they last?
      long enough
    • Are they vibration sensitive?
      If mounted inproperly yes. Otherwise it's the same as a normal bulb.
    • How much do they cost?
      cheap kits cost $300 bux, good ones 'Phillips, Bosch prolly around $500
    • Anything else you can think of?
Not really, other than you'll need to make a custom mounting kit to fit it in the H4 hole. Maybe even a car kit for H4 type inserts may work? Not sure yet but I'll investigate.

Thanks!

:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
HID's require a different reflector pattern than standard lights. Alot of aftermarket kit were using stock light housings with HID lamps and blinding other drivers. Thus they were made illegal (rather than just requiring they make a new housing.) You'd figure it would be pretty easy to make a HID kit for naked bikes though. Reflector design could be pretty generic.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I put HID's (factory audi parts) in my 00 A4 while utilizing the stock ballast (halogen).
its not the same ballast, but close enough for me.
the kit cost me $300 of a guy on one of the Audi boards i frequent.

There are no sv's currently available with HID's, or the projector light (in the states)
Im setting up my winter project currently, HID in my projector lowbeam (left side) with standard highbeam (standard halogen) in the right side.
looks like it will cost under $500 *so far*

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
{PMS}fishy said:
A $6000 bike is not going to have $800 worth of lights.
My question was not 'why don't they make the bike with HID's' nor do I have any interest if it's legal or not. My question was simply why I haven't seen a lot of people running HID's on this board? That said, if aimed properly you won't 'blind' other drivers. It's the guys who just stick them in there and drive off. You have to point them lower than normal because the housing is not a projector lense. And you can purchase the H4 kits all over the place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
-yz- said:
My question was simply why I haven't seen a lot of people running HID's on this board?
Cost.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I looked into hid auxillary lighting,(pair of Hella 5000 cornering lamps) but $700 was too much, hid for primary lighting is not feasble on a nekid, you loose one of your beams

L

·
0 Posts
i have HID in my however they do blind people i have just bought H4 setup to cover the beams other then that they are very nice and it only cost me 100$ for the HID and 35 for the H4 cover so 135 for 2 hid... i got them off of cars that had been in accidents so eh! it still works!

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
lyellowdragonl said:
i have HID in my however they do blind people i have just bought H4 setup to cover the beams other then that they are very nice and it only cost me 100$ for the HID and 35 for the H4 cover so 135 for 2 hid... i got them off of cars that had been in accidents so eh! it still works!
pics please.

oh, and only $189 with free shipping for the 5k unit.
http://www.xenonking.com/5000m.htm

·
Registered
73 Posts
i've been wanting to do this... my friend just gets HIDs off of wrecked lexus's at the auto junk place and wires them... maybe not as simple as it sounds? i agree its illegal tho, but pricing shouldnt be so insane

·
Registered
684 Posts
i was just thinking of doing this mod over the winter and i was looking at those same kits by mcculloch any one have any more opions or anything to ad?

·
Registered
155 Posts
My friend had HID's retrofitted in his 2002 Grand prix. They were great, but he had no high beams, so he reinstalled the stock lights. His girlfriend now has the HID'd in her taurus.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yeah, hids are low beam only unless you can get the high also which happens to be a little more expensive. Then there is the issue of cuttoffs. Blinding other drivers with your ricer lights on a two lane road is not SAFE. Oh, i have seen a bike with HID and it was nice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lkm said:
yeah, hids are low beam only unless you can get the high also which happens to be a little more expensive. Then there is the issue of cuttoffs. Blinding other drivers with your ricer lights on a two lane road is not SAFE. Oh, i have seen a bike with HID and it was nice.
Yes, you can get Bi-Xenon which has a high builtin and again... you have to aim them lower than normal so you don't kill grandma on her way back from the family bar-b-q.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts