Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leo vince slip on, and I took it off today to polish the aluminum. I started it up with the pipe off and rode it down the road and I LOVE the sound. Now I know with a truck taking the muffler off can ruin the cat. Does running a straight pipe under tail ruin anything if its properly heat shielded?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You'll aggrivate ALOT of other motorisits if you do.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
if you want louder, you can always chop the leo vince down. My chopped m4 is pretty darn loud but takes the edge off the straight pipe noise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i did the same with my yosh RS3 pipe. i do like the sound w/o but it was a bit too extreme.
instead, i turned the yosh into a shorty and then repacked it to my liking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did the same with my yosh RS3 pipe. i do like the sound w/o but it was a bit too extreme.
instead, i turned the yosh into a shorty and then repacked it to my liking.
How do you go about doing this. Im keen on cars and trucks, but Im new to the bike "modding"

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
not to mention an open pipe on this bike sounds especially crap-tacular.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Think about all the [email protected] we have to deal with on the street from people's negative impressions of motorcyclists. Now think about how you are going to add to the problem with your straight pipe.

Please, don't do it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I believe people have cut the can to a certain length, drilled out the rivets on the lower part of the can. Remove a section of the can to make it smaller. Then reattaching the desired part (normally the top end with the logo) to the lower part of the can that has the flange on it with new rivets. Thus making a shorty pipe.

I have never done this before but I believe there are a handful of members that have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8kBVQdYTJA

this is mine, it's hella loud. I'd say maybe 80-85% as loud as open pipes, but not as nasty sounding obviously. I already get headaches riding with this, I can't imagine how much my ears would hurt riding an open pipe.
My pipe is a lot louder than that already, I cant hear the whining of the engine. Its a lot higher pitch though, not as deep. Maybe Ill just leave it.

Another question I have is when I took the pipe off to polish it, on the inside it says "not for road use". Now is that just to cover theyre a$$ liability wise? I know the sticker on the bike has the "this bike is within tolerence of noise ordinance.... blahblah blah.... modification is prohibited" Or do they make exshaust for track only? I bought the bike used with the pipe on it already all I know is its leo vince.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I met a guy that cut the exhaust pipes on his 2008 Kawasaki zx14 before they reached the exhaust cans. He then slid in a harley exhaust baffle into each pipe. That kept the back pressure and quited the sound vs an open pipe. It sounded great and did not affect throttle response according to seat of the pants. It may work on the sv. I just purchased a new 2007 sv and was going to research the idea, others may already know if this will work
Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
139 Posts
if you want louder, you can always chop the leo vince down. My chopped m4 is pretty darn loud but takes the edge off the straight pipe noise.
Does it pop a lot? I have a DooDoo pipe (D&D, came with the bike) on mine and it isnt even cut down but it pops quite a bit on deacceleration. And I have a pretty good feeling that if I cut my pipe down it would make my baby run even more like ****.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I was going to say pair valve but you have a 1st gen. Is it a slip on or full? If it's a slip on shimming the needle with one shim might help the popping some. It did on mine when I put my scorpion on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts