Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first post here, i just bought a 2005 SV650S the other day it has a full Leo Vinci exhaust on it and whenever im engine braking hard it makes a popping noise, anyone have any experience with this or know what it could be from? Is it bad? i kind of like it actually but if its something bad i want to get it fixed soon...it does not do it idling only when decelerating

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Normal with an aftermarket can with the Pair valve and system intact. The stock can is quieter so you don't hear it as much. I like the popping myself. Although on the other hand, does your bike have a PC added to retune the FI for the full Leo system. You may be running lean as well.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I believe the 2nd gen SV with a full system should be remapped. Others who actually own a 2nd gen with a full exhaust will have to chime in with the knowledge. Yes, I meant power commander or other aftermarket fuel management system.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It isn't mandatory to run a pc, it will run ok, but it definitely ran better for me with a custom map for my full exhaust.
I'd plug up the pair system and see if that made a difference.
That said, mine is mapped so the fuel air ratio is pretty near perfect, and it pops on decel some.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I run a PC with a full exhaust. After I put the full exhaust on without a remap, it ran ok, but not great. Even a remap from the pc site made a whole world of difference.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have 2nd gen yosh slipon, sv1000 snorkel, and no PC. It pops occasionally on decel, but only started doing that after installing sv1000 snorkel.

It ain't a full system, but I think the sv1k snorkel makes significant diff kinda like having a full yosh system. Not same thing, but free flowing intake instead of exhaust has similar effect, so worth noting.

Can one remap the stock computer somehow? I don't feel like spending $300 for very little gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
229 Posts
Google "chewys stuff"

Its a uk site of a well known sv650.org member. He sells a nice PAIR system removal kit with everything to completely take it off. It will stop popping all together. I have a full Micron exhaust and even with the power commander and remap, it still popped with the pair hoses plugged. After I completely removed PAIR, no more pop. It doesn't sound as cool, but it's much nicer to the muffler packing.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have a full yosh RS3 with PC3 with yosh map from the website. Runs so much better than stock. I get occasional popping when downshifting, and like it as well. But, I've done nothing with the PAIR system, and I have half the can, so less back pressure, so running more lean. I'm going to have to spring for a custom tune to get it running perfectly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My '05 650sf really only pops on decel and engine braking in 4th or 3rd gear. I love hearing it, but does it impact the performance of the motor?...gas milage?

Oh and I have a Yoshi tri-oval slip on, no mods to fuel and intake, stock air filter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's not bad for the engine, but it does burn out the packing in the muffler quicker. I loved the way it sounded when it popped. I could actually see flames out the muffler at night time. But for my mufflers sake, plus the opportunity to remove unnecessary crap, I chose to remove it completely.

If you want to plug it on the cheap, you can plug the hoses where it tees into the air box on the right side. You can see it through the opening in the frame. I think there is a write-up on it somewhere on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts