Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, Im a noob to the forums. I just picked up my 2006 SV650 on Saturday and am thinking of a few modifications to make. I had the idea of painting on a tiger stripe pattern on the can. I photoshopped it and would like to get some opinions from fellow riders.

Before:

Possible After:

Im also open to other patterns if you guys have any ideas

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was expecting orange and black and was a little worried...

Doesn't look too shabby, and should be fairly simple.
I have my can painted semi gloss black with Duplicolor Engine Enamel and have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was expecting orange and black and was a little worried...

Doesn't look too shabby, and should be fairly simple.
I have my can painted semi gloss black with Duplicolor Engine Enamel and have had no problems with it.
Ha ya, stayin away from the orange... How did you paint your can? did you have to put primer on or rough up the surface at all? Also, I tried and failed at taking it off yesterday. I didnt try toooooooo hard, but i was wondering if theres any secrets to doing so. Not nearly as easy to work on as my GS500. But im willing to learn

·
Registered
341 Posts
looks like camouflage. By reading what you were saying I found it cheezy, but your pic looks good. If you pull it off, please post the actual pic.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
how about something more subtle? Like this:

would be sandbasted/etched into surface, with a chopped muffler of course.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Ha ya, stayin away from the orange... How did you paint your can? did you have to put primer on or rough up the surface at all? Also, I tried and failed at taking it off yesterday. I didnt try toooooooo hard, but i was wondering if theres any secrets to doing so. Not nearly as easy to work on as my GS500. But im willing to learn
As mentioned I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel rattle can, I did spend a good while roughing up the can with high grit sand paper.

As for removing the can, the only pain is the connection to the rear header. There is a clamp similar to the one on the front header after the 2 bends that holds the mid pipe to the header. You probably will have to remove the right side rear set and use a 6 to 8" extension on your ratchet to get at it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how about something more subtle? Like this:

would be sandbasted/etched into surface, with a chopped muffler of course.

I agree on the chopped muffler, the stock is fricken massive. But thats why i thought i might as well bump up its appearance. I like your idea of the clear stripes, but i think if i do go for it im probly gonna go with the black. Kinda gives the bike a more animalistic feel. like im riding a savage beast :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As mentioned I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel rattle can, I did spend a good while roughing up the can with high grit sand paper.

As for removing the can, the only pain is the connection to the rear header. There is a clamp similar to the one on the front header after the 2 bends that holds the mid pipe to the header. You probably will have to remove the right side rear set and use a 6 to 8" extension on your ratchet to get at it.
Ya i tried loosening up that clamp with a 6 allen key but that pipe connecting to the manifold wouldnt budge so i just let it go for the time being. I'll try it again soon. I was just wiped out yesterday from a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
no....

get an aftermarket can.

·
Registered
255 Posts
chopped+the black you put up @ first
teh sechs of stockers

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have painted my Mufflers and Headers on my SV1000 all Black two different kinds of course because of the different amount of heat on them. So I used the Dupli-Color Engine Enmel for the Mufflers rated at 500 degrees and has worked great! and then I used the High Heat Header Paint for well the headers of course and that is holding up as well and looks good IMO only pain was that **** rear exhaust header mount PAIN to deal with and not sure on the 650 but dropping that kick stand sure helped me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have painted my Mufflers and Headers on my SV1000 all Black two different kinds of course because of the different amount of heat on them. So I used the Dupli-Color Engine Enmel for the Mufflers rated at 500 degrees and has worked great! and then I used the High Heat Header Paint for well the headers of course and that is holding up as well and looks good IMO only pain was that **** rear exhaust header mount PAIN to deal with and not sure on the 650 but dropping that kick stand sure helped me.
I bought the 500 paint yesterday so now i just need to figure out how to get the can off and also if i need to sand it it or something of that nature so the paint will stick.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Once you get the can off, mask the areas that you do not want to paint, and take it somewhere to get bead blasted. That way you'll only rough up the areas that are getting painted. I've used this trick a couple of times and it works well. You do have to use several layers of making tape.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once you get the can off, mask the areas that you do not want to paint, and take it somewhere to get bead blasted. That way you'll only rough up the areas that are getting painted. I've used this trick a couple of times and it works well. You do have to use several layers of making tape.
Where could I take it? like what kind of store/shop/whatever would i be looking for?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Most body shops would be able to do it. If you did all of the taping, it probably wouldn't be very expensive, it only takes 20 minutes at the most.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts