Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the M4 slip-on tonight. Every thing seemed to go smoothly and fit snugly. But after I started it up and put my hand by each of the joints I noticed it was leaking at the joint at which the cut was made. I moved the clamp in different positions with no luck of getting rid of the leak. I even applied some high-temp silicone but still no luck. Am I stuck with a leak? :mad:

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
If you are satisfied that it is on correctly, i'd give M4 a call. They may have encountered the problem in the past and have a solution. Let us know how it goes...good luck!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Did you put any Red RTV sealant on the slip on? I did on all my joints for that very reason. The M4 tech will tell you to do the same but not a heavy amount. Put some on your finger (use plastic gloves is cleaner ;) ) and smear it around the pipe about a inch from the end and slip it on. Wipe off any excess that may squeeze out.

I was talking to M4 yesterday and asked if I should use the red rtv and he said that they do but don't require it. I have always used it on my car exhaust as a extra leak preventer and it has worked.

If you are using a clamp to hold the new can to the stock exhaust make sure you don't tighten the clamp so tight that it crushes the pipe...if it can be done a car exhaust you can do it on these exhaust. Put some blue loctite on the bolts so they don't back out and recheck them after it has been run several times for loosness.

I installed my Full M4 last night and don't seem to have any leaks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yep... not sure if high-temp silicone is the right stuff or not.. I had a leak when installing my slip-on.
I smeared ehxaust sealant inside the pipe, and that fixed the problem.
Is the sealant you tried deswigned for exhausts? if not... grab a tube of exhausts sealant and give that a try

1 - 4 of 4 Posts