Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for this, but it seemed most people were causing this problem by leaving their choke on too long.

I start my bike (2000 model) w/o choke and the exhaust glows red fairly quickly while idling. I tried to look down at the pipes at red lights and then they seemed fine. Today was my first day to ride a motorcycle and so I rode it for a few straight hours around town before I saw the red glow (at night and after I stopped and the bike was idling in neutral for less than a minute).

The throttle was hanging a bit when I bought the bike, and it had been sitting for a few months in the previous owner's garage. A local shop supposedly cleaned the carbs, synched them, and adjusted the fuel mixture screws (?) to approx two turns.

The bike seems to be idling at around 2k rpm now, sometimes if I stop at a stop sign ect. with the clutch in it will gradually go a little higher and idle to almost 3k or so.

My searching so far tells me it could be running a little lean, but I am a newbie and know almost nothing about motorcycles. Also, the bike sometimes coughs once when I turn it off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I'm going to adjust it tomorrow. Do you think its ok to ride around with the pipe getting that hot?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The bike seems to be idling at around 2k rpm now, sometimes if I stop at a stop sign ect. with the clutch in it will gradually go a little higher and idle to almost 3k or so.
Definitely sounds like you're running very lean and what you said above about the idle going up by itself sometimes is indicative of an air leak somewhere. Check the rubber boots between the carb and the head. I wouldn't run it in this condition since if it very lean you'll burn right through the piston. Take your plugs out and see what colour they are.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I assume your are talking about the pipe glows hot where exiting the cylinder head?
If so, my bike does the same thing. A shop mechanic told me that was normal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, it glows red for a couple inches after the cylinder head. Both the front and rear pipe are glowing.

I'll try to pull the spark plugs, I'm guessing that's pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, when the revs increase, its not really like the throttle is hanging. The engine just seems to randomly rev a little higher when idling.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You sound like you have a massive vac. leak.
Red pipes when off the choke, at idle...is NOT normal or safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I adjusted the idle down to about 1300 and it stopped randomly going up to 3k rpms ever couple minutes. It seemed to speed up at times but would only go to like 1500 max. It wasn't glowing like last night so I figured I'd take it for a spin. Checked the pipe ever mile or two and it was normal colored.

Pulled into the driveway and let it idle for a few minutes (it would turn red every time I did this last night), but this time it never turned red or shot up in RPM's. Going to call the shop tomorrow, seems like something isn't quite right but turning the idle down seemed to help a lot. I think it was the fact that the idle speed was shooting up to 3k rpm that was really making it heat up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts