Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am doing the ERC with my father this year. And they apparently do not allow "lexcessivley oud pipes" at the location.

Now I have a scorpion street extreme, which is loud, but I think they are talking about the putters and thier noise makers...

That said, I am going to stick the db killer back into the street extreme just to be safe.

Anyone know what size screw I need (I lost mine)? And do you think this warning applies to my exhaust? I am no where near as loud as one of them harleys and the street extreme is a "noise reducing pipe". ;)

**PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR THE BROOKDALE (LINCROFT) LOCATION, YOUR MOTORCYCLE MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH STOCK OR NOISE REDUCING PIPES. EXCESSIVELY LOUD PIPES OR OPEN PIPES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED AT THIS SITE. IF YOU ARRIVE WITH AN EXCESSIVELY LOUD MOTORCYCLE AT THIS LOCATION YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE AND NO REFUND WILL BE PROVIDED. IF YOUR MOTORCYCLE IS EQUIPPED WITH LOUD PIPES, PLEASE CHOOSE A DIFERENT LOCATION. THIS IS A RULE SET FORTH BY THE BROOKDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE, NOT RIDER EDUCATION OF NEW JERSEY, THEREFORE NO EXCEPTIONS CAN BE MADE.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My feelings is no. Aren't stock harleys that loud to begin with. These are both "noise reducing pipes" imo.

They were no help. They basically repeated what was on the website.

I have a db meter for my home theater. I am going to get a few readings this weekend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"Excessively Loud"??

Heck, my two year old is excessively loud.

Language like that is so subjective.
They should give you a decibel number to meet.

Anyway, those courses are performed at low rpm in first and second gear.

During my course, the instructors Street Glide was the loudest bike on the lot.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
M Aren't stock harleys that loud to begin with. These are both "noise reducing pipes" imo.

No. Stock Harley pipes meet the same noise level standards that your SV does when new. Heck, OEM Harley pipes are quieter than most OEM sport bikes' pipes.

More ignorance that must be quashed...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. Stock Harley pipes meet the same noise level standards that your SV does when new. Heck, OEM Harley pipes are quieter than most OEM sport bikes' pipes.

:lol: ok. i don't think my stock sv is as quiet as a stock springer softtail....

my pops had one, he hates loud pipes, it was louder than my stock sv.... ;)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bolt is a M6 x 10 Button head. Of course, It really doesn't make the pipe much more quiet. ;-)

You sound like you know your screws. in the biz or just an enthusiast? ;D

you are right, its not much more quiet, it does cut down the concussion though....

I don't think I will have a problem, as someone said, 1st and second, and not gonna be "gettin on it".......

thanks for the info! ;D

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

Then you haven't heard my neighbors stock Harley's. Sure sitting there idling it isn't too bad, but as soon as they go to leave it sounds like a tornado and my house starts to shake.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Then you haven't heard my neighbors stock Harley's. Sure sitting there idling it isn't too bad, but as soon as they go to leave it sounds like a tornado and my house starts to shake.
Then he's done something to the exhaust/muffler. Just because it came off the show room floor doesn't mean it's "stock".

ALL motorcycles must meet the SAME EPA-mandated noise laws when mass produced.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I am guessing yes. are you doing the brookdale one? if not, if they don't specifically specify there is nothing saying you can't.
I'm not going to the one in Bookdale... that's way to far from me. I'm taking one in my hometown of Chambersburg, PA. I received an email with information about my class and there was the "Loud pipes lose sites" line...

My neighbor's Harleys OEM pipes are much louder than my M4, so I'm really not worried. If they say something to me about them I'll be honest with them and tell them that it came with the bike and I cant afford a different exhaust.

To be honest I wanted to take the BRC, but since I said I'd been riding for 6 months when I registered it would only allow me to take the ERC.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Then he's done something to the exhaust/muffler. Just because it came off the show room floor doesn't mean it's "stock".

ALL motorcycles must meet the SAME EPA-mandated noise laws when mass produced.
I am telling you both of them are bone stock. Absolutely nothing was swapped or has been changed on them. The 883 isn't as loud as the other one (I don't now what it is, but it is monstrous). The big one is the one that rattles the windows in the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts