Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many of the other threads on this subject but here goes another. Since acquiring my SV with 27,000 miles on it, I noticed it regularly needed to be topped up with oil. I blamed it on mileage and lived with it. But lately its getting excessive. My last ride was 370 miles. I topped off before heading out and when I returned, I had to add 8 ounces to return to previous level.

Granted I ride my bike very hard and the engine now has 43,000 miles on it but 8 ounces in 370 miles is excessive, IMO. What I find interesting is there is no evidence of oil being burned other than it goes missing. There is no smoke whatsoever at any time coming out of the exhaust nor are the plugs oily. And no, oil is not leaking out of the engine.

So, I guess I should start looking at replacement engines as I have read here it is much easier and cost effective to replace than to rebuild.

I havent performed a compression test. I guess I will eventually.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You can burn a drop of oil at every combustion stroke and not see any smoke but still have your oil level drop. A leak down test may be more informative, possibly besides the compression test. I would just keep an eye on the level, change the oil more often and ride until the engine really starts to smoke if it ever does.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Sometimes the buckets under the cam will push oil through the valve seals when they get old and hard. Each time the cam pushes the bucket down it in turn pushes a tiny bit of oil down the guide. Many times you'll never see smoke...but a considerable amount of oil can go away in time.

What to do about it if that indeed is what is wrong? You'd need some way to compress the spring and get the keepers out to get at the seals. Actually it is pretty easy getting the keepers out and to the seals....the trick is to get it put back together.:)

A deepwell socket on the retainer and a light tap with the hammer and the keepers will be off....but you'd need some kind of compressor to reinstall them after replacing the seals. Maybe somebody makes an 'on the engine' kind of tool to do this? Sorry...I've only seen and used the clamp type compressors that need the head off to work.

Other than the valve seals you're down to rings I'd guess. Maybe dump a few oz's of Seafoam in the sparkplug holes and let it sit on top of the piston for a day or three. I've seen the stuff break stuck/clogged rings free and make them run great afterwards. You don't have much to lose trying it.:)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
A friend of mine's racebike was using more than that EVERY RACE. I'm talking sprint races, not endurance. 7 laps IIRC, <20 miles. It still made good power.

I'd advise just topping off when needed and dealing with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts