Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question concerns a new SV650 05 model which has less than 500 mi. Recently, I checked the oil in the oil site glass WHILE THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING. I noticed what appears to be an excessive amount of foaming of the crankcase oil--oil site glass essentially filled with foam. I've never noticed this on my inline fours and thus this concerns me because of the obvious dangers of oil with excessive foam. After turning the engine off, the foam almost immediately disappears. Has anyone else experienced this condition? Is this normal for an SV? I'd greatly appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Two things:

1. Did you overfill it at the last oil change?? Too much oil can causing foaming.

2. If there is water,the oil will turn a milky brown, is that happening??

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldn't descibe it as excessive, but I have noticed some bubbling in the sight glass while at idle.

Check your oil level with the engine off and the bike level. If it's in the normal range and the oil pressure light dosen't illuminate while riding I'd say it's ok.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thank you for the insight. Here are some more details about this issue. First though, my intuition is telling me that this some thing that may be normal with this bike as it is a new bike (less than 500 miles). I hoping that others are experiencing this phenomenon. Please read on to see the details of what I'm seeing--sorry about the length

1. This is a new bike; it has less than 500 miles. This is the original oil from the setup. Therefore, it's highly unlikely there is water in the oil. Also, I live in a dry hot area and ride the bike at least 25 miles at a time--this would probably evaporate any vapor from the oil.

2. The foam in the site glass occurs when the bike is idling. It reaches a level to approximately the top or the site glass. Immediately after turning off the motor, the foam goes done to a thin film (2mm thick) on the surface and then after a minute or so, ccmpletely disappears.

3. The Oil level is checked while the bike is level and on flat ground and it is at the "F" Full mark. This is how it came from the dealer.

I hope this helps to diagnose this question . Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
With the bike off and after it's sat for a few minutes, is the oil golden brown / brown? If so then it's fine.

If it's a milky foamy color then there's water in your oil and it should be changed immediately. Water in oil can be condensation which is possible in your case (since it's new). It could also be a head gasket but that's not likely on a new bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The foam in the site glass occurs when the bike is idling.
I think it's over-filled. When the bike is running you shouldn't see the oil through the sight glass. After the bike has been warmed up, shut it off then check the sight glass after 3 minutes. The level should be at the Full line.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, after turning the engine off and waiting a few minutes, the oil is golden brown and is NOT turbid (has the expected clearness of clean oil). Also, the foam--which also has the same color has the oil--is gone. This appears to be a normal behavior of the SV or other bikes? Just out of curiousity, has anyone else has actually looked at there oil site glass while idling and noticed this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have an o5 650 naked with about 3150km. i remember noticing a little bit of bubbles a week or 2 ago...but nothing recently. the oil looks good and the bike runs well so it might not be a serious thing. I never thought about it as water but rather i assumed it to be oil bubbles (not boiling...just shaken up by the engine.)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
merlot said:
The foam in the site glass occurs when the bike is idling.
I think it's over-filled. When the bike is running you shouldn't see the oil through the sight glass. After the bike has been warmed up, shut it off then check the sight glass after 3 minutes. The level should be at the Full line.
Yes, I have check the bike exactly as you state, and it is at the Full mark. It appears that the dealer put the correct level of oil in the bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I must have mis-read your post then as I thought you read the oil level while the bike was running. As far as seeing anyhting while it is running, I never checked. I have glanced down at it before and noticed it was empty while running, but that was a quick glance.

If I remember, I'll check it after work while it's running before my ride home.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Don't worry

Foaming in the sight glass is not unusual for any engine with this type of sight glass. Some oils will foam more than others. If you could see inside the engine while it was running you would see a hurricane of turbulent oil.

The only concern you could have, as mentioned above, is if the oil were milky looking, like coffee with cream in it. That would imply either water in the oil or (worst case) coolant in the oil. Either way that would be a warranty issue. If the oil isn't milky/cloudy, just forget it.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the insight. It sounds like this is a normal occurrence. Please keep me posted on which oils foam the least as I'm still researching oil when I do my first oil change.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
avc8130 said:
When I run my bike and look down there the sight is just about empty. It emits a bubble every now and then. Is that what you meant by foam?
ac
If you are seeing small bubbles (approximately 1 mm diameter -- why I used the term "foam") then yes. As I mentioned, they fill the site glass up at times at idle. Thanks for your observation.

·
Registered
613 Posts
kme said:
Thank you for all the insight. It sounds like this is a normal occurrence. Please keep me posted on which oils foam the least as I'm still researching oil when I do my first oil change.
IBRotellaTNazis :D

I'm current using Rotella T

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
i'll revive this thread since i am seeing this "foam" situation for the first time in 22000 miles of frequent oil changes, (at least every 2000 mi., sometimes less).
i have used a variety of oil brands, including plain old castrol gtx, castrol m/c, mobil 1 m/c synthetic, valvoline synthetic, rotella, and now lucas m/c . i would blame the lucas, but this is the 2nd change with lucas and there was no foaming issue the first time.
some ideas i got from others were high level of detergent additive and too low viscosity. i'm using 20w50, but maybe it was mis-labeled.
confirming oil level is correct- 2.7 liters with filter puts it exactly on the full line. runs normally and no warning lights on.

i called lucas customer service but they had no ideas.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Same here. Though I wouldn't call it excessive. More like a few bubbles. That's it.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Yes, I have check the bike exactly as you state, and it is at the Full mark. It appears that the dealer put the correct level of oil in the bike.
The oil should be at the full line with the bike upright...not with the bike on the kickstand. If you see the oil at the "Full" mark with the bike on the stand....it's overfilled. I think that needed a little clarification.

At least it doesn't sound like it looks like this:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts