Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a Leo Vince exhaust on my 2000 SV650.

With the baffles out its always making backfiring pop noises when I release the throttle. Thats fine.

But recently, I've heard a rattling around the pipes at idle, and now I get really loud backfiring, like loud gunshots.

Normal?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
304 Posts
So, I have a Leo Vince exhaust on my 2000 SV650.

With the baffles out its always making backfiring pop noises when I release the throttle. Thats fine.

But recently, I've heard a rattling around the pipes at idle, and now I get really loud backfiring, like loud gunshots.

Normal?

Any thoughts?
ANy jetting done. Your running lean.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No jetting done. No power commander (I don't think they do it for the 1st gen).

Maybe I should check the filter, could need a new one. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
367 Posts
You might have a problem with your 'transient enrichment' system (TES). That's the part of the carbs that makes it over-rich when you are coasting. Either that, or you are too lean. Either way, you will need to take the carbs off and go through them, to re-jet, or to clean out the TES, which may need a new diaphram. See the sticky thread for 1st gen carb points to give you a little guidance.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=85580

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
A certain amount of popping back is normal, and can't be gotten rid of. Mine goes away almost completely once hot. Occasionally will hear something on decel after long periods of time steady open throttle in upper RPMs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A certain amount of popping back is normal, and can't be gotten rid of. Mine goes away almost completely once hot. Occasionally will hear something on decel after long periods of time steady open throttle in upper RPMs.
I know, but recently the popping as gotten a lot worse, and is constant.

And thanks BillBillw for the link, very useful!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same thing. My problem was that I was sucking air in because a rubber plug on the carburetor was dry rotted (I think the purpose for it is to synchronize the carbs). I ended up clamping a sealed plastic tube to prevent sucking in air. My bike backfired a lot when I downshifted to stop signs and let the engine slow the bike down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts