Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
due to too many accidents? I've been riding for roughly two years now and I've been down 4 times. Do you ever think to yourself "****, I've dropped my bike twice inside of 3 months. I should just stop before I kill myself" More now than ever I am considering quitting.

Good news is I was fully geared the last two times I've been down. No injuries whatsoever. AlpineStar Octane one piece + sidi b2 + AlpineStar GP Pro gloves

FEB 09 went down in canyon lowside, just got too far over & abrupt rather than smooth initiation of turn. In fast out fast was the idea there. that cost me ~ 700 to fix.

APR 09 coming to stop light & realizing light was red grab too much front brake bike kicks out to the side and I'm off it sliding into intersection. cars were stopped all around so I was lucky. Bike ended up somewhere around 3/4 of the way through I end up around 1/2. was too wrapped up in the fact that I was running on fumes after a long tense ride down from the canyon when I realized my fuel light was on steady. I guess the lesson here is don't ever ride when you're that distracted by something other than the road. stupid stupid sh it.
going to be ~450 to fix.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
No. When I've wrecked, I've adjusted my attitude toward the sport, but never even considered giving it up.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I did for awhile, but that wasn't because of wrecks. Just circumstance. Hope I don't have to again.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Nope. In 29 years of riding I have never once considered it. But (knock on wood) I have never crashed or even dropped a street bike. I can't say the same for dirt bikes and I have the scars to prove it, lol.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I've put the bike on the ground more times and keep getting back on. Cheer up dodger. You'll start laughing about it soon ;D

If you find yourself unable to walk for a month, you might think about quitting a little more often but you'll get back on and love it even more.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Give up riding, no. I do things that I enjoy and riding motorcycles is one of them. I think when the "Fun Factor" reaches zero it's time to give it up.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'll quit either when I die or can't afford to have a bike "homeless starving & jobless"....it'll be the last thing to go lol.

I'm not going to say I won't take breaks, but not if I can help it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'll quit either when I die or can't afford to have a bike "homeless starving & jobless"....it'll be the last thing to go lol.

I'm not going to say I won't take breaks, but not if I can help it.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
NOPE!!! 30 years of riding 3 serious crashes (and a couple minor ones), I can't wait to ride every chance I get. I'm just a bit more careful these days and watch out for everybody.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
NO, but there was a period without a bike but the passion never left. Got my first road bike in 1976 at 16.

After 115,000+ miles riding bikes, spread over 30+ years I can only say the memories are priceless, the friends awesome .... heck I just want to keep it going until I canny do it no more or die trying ... it really has been, is and will be, for me, a PASSION !!!

Passion defined by the Webster dictionary ... synonyms passion , fervor , ardor , enthusiasm , zeal mean intense emotion compelling action. passion applies to an emotion that is deeply stirring or ungovernable <was a slave to his passions>. fervor implies a warm and steady emotion <read the poem aloud with great fervor>. ardor suggests warm and excited feeling likely to be fitful or short-lived <the ardor of their honeymoon soon faded>. enthusiasm applies to lively or eager interest in or admiration for a proposal, cause, or activity <never showed much enthusiasm for sports>. zeal implies energetic and unflagging pursuit of an aim or devotion to a cause <preaches with fanatical zeal>

Describes it to a tee for me!

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Sounds like you need to stop treating the road like a track and/or pay more attention to what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I put my bikes down a few times over the years but it never occurred to me to quit because of it, just to try and improve. When I did leave biking for other reasons, I ended up having dreams about it frequently until I finally got back on last year :)

If it's not for you, fair enough. If it is, you can never leave. I have a friend lost half a leg in an accident and he's still aching to get back on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts