Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Ya... it's interesting. There have been a few threads here about it. Rather than going into too much detail, here's the first result that came back in my search for "hyosung" on svrider.com

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=44724.0

EDIT: I gotta say that those pictures you linked to make that bike look kinda sweet. A little wimpy but still sweet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd hit it...but...I don't trust anything with a motor in it coming out of korea...just look at the kia and hyudais out there these days...just bad quality.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm probably wrong and should google this, but aren't all of Hyundais 4-cylinder engines last generation Hondas that they import? The last I read the only engine Hyundai designed is their new 6-cylinder in the sonata and santa fe? And over the past 3 years Hyundais reliability rating has reached the industry average, and is higher than several of the American manufacturers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My friend has a Sonata and its a nice car. It has good power too. I'd stay away from those Kias. I rented one to drive around LA and I had to wring the tits off that thing to pass anyone. I did that old trick where you turned off the A/C to get a little bit of passing power.

Hyosung? Verdict is not in yet. Its just a dumb name.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In MSF we had a couple of small displacement Hyosung cruisers that were donated by some insurance firm. Comparing it to the Honda Rebel wasn't even funny. The built quality on those Hyosungs was garbage. And they sounded like crap too. For quality and value, you just can't beat the Japs in bikes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Malfeas said:
I'm probably wrong and should google this, but aren't all of Hyundais 4-cylinder engines last generation Hondas that they import? The last I read the only engine Hyundai designed is their new 6-cylinder in the sonata and santa fe? And over the past 3 years Hyundais reliability rating has reached the industry average, and is higher than several of the American manufacturers.
A friend of mine had a Hyundai and said the drive train was fine it was just all the little stuff that broke. Like the hinge for his center console and cup holders and stuff like that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Actually, I'm about 95% sure that Suzuki builds the engines for Hyosung and Hyosung buys them from suzuki. I saw a red one of those the other day. Looked pretty cool.

But I think I'll keep my SV. ;)

·
Registered
899 Posts
If you go to their web site and read the specs and dyno on the bike it isn't that impressive. About 69-70 HP at the rear wheel and still carbed on a 2005 bike! LOOSER! SVs still rule!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love my SV but this bike looks better I have to say. It actually looks better than a lot of bikes out there on the market.

G

·
This is why when China tries to bring cars to the US they are going to suddenly realize that EVERY SINGLE PART on the car has a Patent infringement and will get sued right back out of the country.

·
Registered
551 Posts
they are saying that that hyosung has more power and torque than an sv? anybody fill me in?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have seen a couple in the flesh (Augusta GA is the home of the importer Alphasport) Styling is great, better than '03+ SV models IMHO. Have not had a chance to ride one though. Is comfortable to sit on, and has adjustable footrest brackets as standard! Build quality though is obviously a step or two down from the Japanese players.
Hyosung make their own engines. They are not made by Suzuki.
I drove a Kia just after college (Six year old Sephia, 60,000 miles, bought for $2000 cash!). Engine was fine, as it was made by Mazda, same as the Protege I believe, and it could outrun my GFs Saturn, but other stuff, like the dash, paint, interior hinges, CV axles were all made of cheese. I ran it for 2 years until I'd established some credit then traded it.

G

·
Interestingly, Hyundai ranked 2nd according to Car and Driver in terms of reliability and 4th for fit/finish (who in turn were quoting numbers from the 2004 J.D. Powers report). 1st for reliability was Lexus as a subdivision of Toyota, 2nd was Hyundai, 3rd was Toyota as a whole corporation, 4th and 5th were Nissan and Honda.

Several other reliability reports also state that Hyundai ranks in the top 5 for reliability these days.

Pretty crazy huh? Hyundai beating out Honda and Toyota for reliability!

So who knows, Korean manufacturers could be a viable alternative to Japanese bikes, they've already caught up with their cars.

btw. interesting fact, both BMW and Mercedes were both rated in the bottom half for reliability and 1/3 down the list for fit/finish.

Still, wouldn't drive a Hyundai though, it takes more than a couple of years of good performance (in those tests) to change a decade or more of bad reputation.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I saw some of them at the Indy dealer show a couple years ago. Total garbage. POS . I can't imagine how they do such a poor job. Quality is not even close to the worst Brazilian or Thai built Honda I've seen. Comparing it to Japanese or European quality is so far apart what's the point. Many of the aluminum silver parts you see are actually very cheap steel.

You'd be a complete idiot to even considered buying one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
body work isn't bad... who will be the first to put that body work onto the SV?

·
Registered
270 Posts
why do people keep saying china... its frigging korea...what if all the proceeds from this bike go to their nuke program?... then were esentially funding our own demise!!!! god im a paranoid freak...one reason i want to buy a suzuki is they have a reputation for quality...i dont spend money on things that havent proven themselves yet...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts