Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Shark helmet, that is.

I'm looking for a new helmet, and I've seen a few good closeouts on the web of the Shark RSR2. Looks comparable to my RF-1000. Problem is, no Shark dealers near me to see one and try it on.

Anyone here have one of these, or, at least, have seen and tried this helmet on? I'm particularly interested in how it compares to the RF, especially fit-wise, so if you have worn both, let me know what you think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^ Thanks for the link. Right helmet; wrong size. Unless Shark sizing is seriously larger than true-to-size, I'll probably need a Large (23 1/8" head circumference). I'll PM dubtec anyway, and see if he'll give me any info.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I did. It was a small, and was maybe just a smidge big. I have an extra small Arai that fits very snugly and a small G-Max that feels also just a smidge big sometimes. I'd like to try an XS Shark before buying, but I'm in the same boat regarding dealers.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've seen CycleGear carry shark helmets.
I'm not sure where the closest FL CycleGear is near you. You should call them up and see if they carry any.

Or, do you have any other local MC stores?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^ Closest CG is 40 mi away. worth a call, at least. tnx.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok... maybe you guys can offer a bit of wisdom.

I wear a Shoei TZ-R, Medium... It FITS great, but I just LOVE the look of the RSR2's, either Corser or Duhammel model....

I know the RSR2 is supposed to fit round heads, like the TZ-R... but I really have a difficult time getting a medium on, & the large is just a little too loose... Anyone else have this issue, & can you get thicker pads somewhere?

·
Registered
308 Posts
i just bought the rsr2. size large, i had a CL-14 large before, both fit similarly. rsr2 is a very little bit tighter but i attribute that to it being new, not 3 years old like the hjc.

my hat size is 7-3/4 which according to sharks size chart is a large. i have a semi oval shaped head and this helmet fits great.

more details- a medium rsr2 would not even fit on my head. i beleive the shell size jumps up between m and l.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wear a Shoei TZ-R, Medium... It FITS great, but I just LOVE the look of the RSR2's, either Corser or Duhammel model....

I know the RSR2 is supposed to fit round heads, like the TZ-R... but I really have a difficult time getting a medium on, & the large is just a little too loose...
So, are you saying that the Shark RSR2 is shaped the same as the TZ-R, but sized a little bit smaller?

(BTW -- The TZ-R and RF-1000 are shaped and sized the same; but the shape is billed as round/oval, not pure round.)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here's what I've noticed. I take a small in the Shoei rf1000 and it fits my head like a glove (for my head). My shark RSX is a small as well and fits quite well, but has a little more room in the top/back side areas. The RSR2, however, only fits me in a Medium. The small was painfully tight. The medium fit really well though.

I SO wanted the white Duhamel. But the place near me that carries them only had it in a small. Then my brother-in-law picked up a Duhamel in the medium (which is why I could try it on...), so the dream of having a Duhamel is dead because I don't want to look like a matchey-matchey gay couple when I'm out riding with him. Haha.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I was just in both Cycle Gear stores in Vegas, they only had one helmet in each, and both were the modular design. Still worth at least a call.

I checked their size chart, and it appears to be aligned with Arai's

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh yeah, and in terms of loudness, the RSX is a bit louder than my rf1000. I think the only reason for this, however, is because the padding at the bottom of the RSX isn't quite as tight to my jawline as my rf1000. Most reviews say that the Sharks are a quiet helmet. I think how it fits any person's particular head has the biggest impact on how loud it is due to air being able to get up underneath in open spots.

I'd imagine the RSR2 is a little louder than the RSX due to it having a far more aggressive ventilation system. It is a "race" helmet, after all.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
PM replied cfreger.

The Shark is a little noisy, but not any more so than an RF-1000. The only HJC I've owned was a CL-14 that was extremely noisy (fit like poo, also).

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I take a small in the Shoei rf1000 and it fits my head like a glove... The RSR2, however, only fits me in a Medium. The small was painfully tight. The medium fit really well though.
So, another opinion that the RSR2 is about the same shape as the RF, but runs a bit tighter. Since I could stand my size Large RF a bit tighter, it seems like I should make the effort to check out the RSR2.

Thanks, all. :)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
September, it will be mine. (have to wait for the next gov't boondoggle overseas for the luxury purchase.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So, are you saying that the Shark RSR2 is shaped the same as the TZ-R, but sized a little bit smaller?

(BTW -- The TZ-R and RF-1000 are shaped and sized the same; but the shape is billed as round/oval, not pure round.)
Well, I'm saying... I can barely get an RSR2 Medium on my head. It may be, because the RSR2 is more round, than RO... webbikeworld calls both helmets a round. But, the RSR2 LARGE was kinda close, just a bit loose in the cheeks. So yea, IME they ran small.

I'm just a bit bummed, because none of the Shoei graphic layouts really WOW me...

Tried on an Arai Quantum 2, & HATED how close the front of the helmet is to my face. Like its almost touching my nose.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts