Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not believe this....
Last week I found my bike lying on it's side opposite the stand twice (suspect someone pushed it). Last night the bike fell again ...this time in front of my very eyes! And on the opposite side! Stand folded in and down it went just as I was chaining it! In hindsight parking on a hill on wet surface is not ideal even if i have been parking in that spot since the beginning with no problems. Now I have no left indicator and no gear shifter!!!! Oh and end of clutch lever also broke off.... How will I ride to the repair shop when I can't change gears....?
So that's both sides that took a beating now. How much bad luck can one person have... I think I'm making up for the fact nothing ever happened on my old bike. I'm starting to worry my beloved bike is cursed or someone up there really has it in for me. Can anyone beat this?? I doubt it...
:'(

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Why take it to the shop for repair? For the same cost you can probably buy the tools and parts to fix it yourself in a couple hours. Turn signals, levers and shifter should all be simple fixes. Did the whole pedal break or just the part you press your foot on? If just the tip broke off, many people have drilled a hole and used a nut and bolt as a temporary fix.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Why take it to the shop for repair? For the same cost you can probably buy the tools and parts to fix it yourself in a couple hours.
+1
15 minutes chuck :)

Flat head screwdriver
Snap ring plyers
8,10, & possibly a 12mm wrench

Sent from my right shoe phone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes just the tip you put your foot on broke off. This is exactly what the shop did on the rear brake pedal when that broke off on the other side. They just drilled a temporary one in, which is actually doing a better job than the original cos when someone pushed my bike again it only bent and not broke off altogether like the other one.
You guys are right; I have to learn to do this stuff myself cos it's happening too often now! I'm just scared I'll mess it up and make it worse. I don't know a thing about stuff like that. How can one person have this much bad luck!!! AARRGGHH!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Yes just the tip you put your foot on broke off. This is exactly what the shop did on the rear brake pedal when that broke off on the other side. They just drilled a temporary one in, which is actually doing a better job than the original cos when someone pushed my bike again it only bent and not broke off altogether like the other one.
You guys are right; I have to learn to do this stuff myself cos it's happening too often now! I'm just scared I'll mess it up and make it worse. I don't know a thing about stuff like that. How can one person have this much bad luck!!! AARRGGHH!
Why do people keep pushing your bike over! Get an alarm for your bike and set the sensitivity to the max.

Don't be afraid to just dive in. If the part is already broken, you can't really make it that much worse (unless we're talking engine/suspension stuff).

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
You could probably click it into 2nd or 3rd and limp it to the shop if that ever happens and you're stuck. Getting going from a stop would require some extra clutch feathering, of course.

I've had my bike blown over in the wind and had a carport collapse on it from the weight of snow.

You should try to park with the nose pointing slightly uphill, in 1st gear and preferably with the rear tire against the curb. That way, the bike tips slightly MORE onto the sidestand and it shouldn't roll anywhere by itself.

Try real hard not to park facing downhill, and definitely not in neutral. It makes the bike stand more upright since the sidestand is higher than the tires. The bike will want to roll forward and the stand will fold up if that happens.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You should try to park with the nose pointing slightly uphill, in 1st gear and preferably with the rear tire against the curb. That way, the bike tips slightly MORE onto the sidestand and it shouldn't roll anywhere by itself.

Try real hard not to park facing downhill, and definitely not in neutral. It makes the bike stand more upright since the sidestand is higher than the tires. The bike will want to roll forward and the stand will fold up if that happens.
Not to mention, trying to back your bike up while going uphill is a serious PITA. That was definitely one of my first lessons, learned the hard way, when I first got my bike.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
agy, post up a pic of how you usually park your bike. Try to get some of the background in so we have a frame of reference as to how hilly it is, to compare the slope and angle of how you're parking your bike.

We might be able to see if there's a better way to park it, or if it's a contributing factor in your bike falling over.

Remember, a bike's natural state of being is lying on its side. ;)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Last week I found my bike lying on it's side opposite the stand twice (suspect someone pushed it). Last night the bike fell again ...this time in front of my very eyes!

I'm starting to worry my beloved bike is cursed...
Like everybody else said, either you're doing something wrong or something is broken. Bikes don't just fall off sidestands three times in two weeks.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Since the parts are already messed up, you have nothing to lose but a little time. Give it a shot... Plenty of help is just a few keystrokes away if you get stuck on any maintenance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I always parked this bike facing up the hill so even if it was to roll a touch, the stand wouldn't fold. Last night (and the night before) I parked it facing down hill since someone from a parking car pushed it twice in one week so I figured this way they can't push it cos it leaning on the opposite side. Plus I always used park my honda cbr facing down hill and nothing ever happened (but it was a 125 so waaay lighter!). Last night was wet from rain... bike facing down hill, as it undeniably rolled forward even by a millimetre it was enough to get the stand to start folding and down it went... so kind of my fault....
I am super lucky that a guy who owns a bicycle shop on the corner where I park is also a biker so he will fix it for me cheap. I just have to order the parts (on ebay). The bummer is it's the bloody queen's jubilee so the whole country is at a stand still for the next three days... oh and we noticed today the clutch lever didn't just break off at the end. It actually cracked and fell out when we were checking it today. Good job we found that now and not when I was riding it.... wouldn't be fun to suddenly find yourself sans clutch mid ride...GULP! So yeah I wouldn't have been able to ride to the repair shop anyway...
Oh and I'm ordering those sliders too!!! And I'm going to park elsewhere even if it's a longer walk! I've just about had enough for two weeks :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
agy, post up a pic of how you usually park your bike. Try to get some of the background in so we have a frame of reference as to how hilly it is, to compare the slope and angle of how you're parking your bike.

We might be able to see if there's a better way to park it, or if it's a contributing factor in your bike falling over.

Remember, a bike's natural state of being is lying on its side. ;)
My profile picture is of it parked in my usual spot (we can park on pavements in certain boroughs in London - it's safer than parking on the street cos cars will often push bikes over when parking). But you can't actually see the hill in the picture. This was it facing up hill tho. Last night was down hill...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I personally would attempt the fix on my own. Regardless that your buddy will do it for cheap, I'm a believer that the more you know and learn of your bike...the more you'll be able to continue to do should become stranded.

I'm fortunate enough to already have many, many tools...picking the right one is sometimes frustrating, but it's the learning part in it.

My only other suggestion, possibly get a wedge and put it behind the tire most downhill to prevent it from doing any rolling in case you have a weak stand. Tightening your stand might help, just don't mess up that switch. Or, get a bike stand that beats the rear weight and keeps your bike upright...but that little bit of incline would still probably worry me personally.

Just my .02 cents worth......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will learn one day... just not a good time with an end of year Chemistry exam coming up. I need to be studying and not playing a mechanic with my bike (and quite possibly failing). I'm worried I'd dismantle things then won't know how to put them back together :O

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
They go back together usually the reverse of the way they came apart. Patience and a little common sense is really all you need...unless you need some kind of special tool.

For really complicated stuff, sometimes I will take a picture with my cell phone before I start and maybe a few as I go so that I remember how it all went back together...and I fix cars for a living!

If you get stuck, there's always SVRider to help you out.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You're across the pond aren't ya?

There's gotta be someone on the English sv board (can't remember what it's called) that can help you with spares or a hand. I would but yeah... the pond and all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ahhh super cool! Someone emailed me with another one the other day but this one is specifically sv650 and lots of folk from London! cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts