Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I've been running a 15/44 setup for the last 6,000 miles and everything has been wearing nicely. When I did my F3 wheel conversion I went to a 15/45 sproket setup. Since the gears are odd/odd numbered now instead of odd/even the rollers on the chain hit the same spot on the sproket each time it goes around. I noticed today that the rollers on my chain are clean, dirty, dirty, clean, dirty, dirty, clean. So it seems like every third roller is ummm rolling, but the two between are not spinning so they are dirty on the outside. I figured that running a odd/odd gearing setup wouldn't be a big deal, but it looks like it might cause my rollers to wear unevenly on one side because they are not rolling.

What do ya'll think and is there a good solution? I don't really want to go to a 14/45 gearing, but I might go back to 15/44 if it is going to make my chain wear longer.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks!
Jason

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH ;D

You so smart :) So is it bad?? Should I do something about it? Why would anyone run a 15/45 then! Ugggh, I wish I would have thought about this more before buying that sprocket.

BAH!

J

·
0 Posts
Bah this sounds like the perfect time to go to a 15/46 it will solve your wear problem and give you a lil umph.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha found the answer on my own web site! LOL :) www.redaggie03.info

Drive chain
SV650 110 links
SV65S 108 links
Type DID525V8

so it looks like I have 108 links. ugggh....so explain to me what's going on then. What's the easiest solution and how much will this cause the chain to wear pre maturely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
whoa...never thought about this.

So, I ride an SVS, stock was 108 links.
I just changed my gearing from 15/44 to 14/45. And I sized my new chain down to 108 just like stock.

Is this going to cause the same kind of problem?

Explain to me how this works please?

J

·
0 Posts
No mrlucky what they are talking about is something i think (avid) covered a while ago with the sprocket ratio he called it hunting or seeking or something. When the sprockets are an exact ratio ie 15/45=3 then the same link hits the same tooth on the sprocket causing uneven wear. You will be fine because you are running a 14/45. At least if i remember his post correctly. However the stock sv sprocket is 15/45 so I'm sure it is not bad for the bike i think it just causes the chain to wear a little early.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The same 3 teeth in the back hit the same chain link as the a single tooth in the front. This is complicated by a 108 link chain b/c it too is divisable by 3. so 1 front tooth, and 3 back teeth only mesh with the same 36 teeth on the chain. If tool marks develop on any of the surfaces it will get bad 3 times as fast as a more random relationship.

·
Registered
415 Posts
ronlarimer said:
The same 3 teeth in the back hit the same chain link as the a single tooth in the front.  This is complicated by a 108 link chain b/c it too is divisable by 3.  so 1 front tooth, and 3 back teeth only mesh with the same 36 teeth on the chain.  If tool marks develop on any of the surfaces it will get bad 3 times as fast as a more random relationship.

ah, that makes sense. That is why stock 15/45 nakeds have 110 links.

So as long as your chain/both sprockets do not all have a commen denominator wear on the chain will be even?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Not a big deal. I don't know why you are seeing what you're seeing, but ratio is probably not the issue. It is true with gears that you want to avoid integer ratios (or ratios whose multiples are integers). But think about cam drives, whether gears or chains. They are by necessity synchronous, 2:1 ratio. They seem to last OK.

With chain drives the ratio of the front and rear sprockets are not as important as the chain link to sprocket ratios. Even with "matched" ratios modern chains are marvels of longevity.

I'd look at the sprockets first, probably the front. You could have one tooth somewhere that's a bit off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I just pulled the front cover and the sproket looks fine. Wear isn't too bad and there arn't any missing teeth. I ordered a Renthal 44 tooth sproket for my F3 wheel and we'll see if that helps. uggh, what a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
67 Posts
So Red, you're not running a 14T front anymore? I noticed it listed on your site under mods. Any particular reason you went back to a 15T?

Awesome site, btw. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
ronlarimer said:
The same 3 teeth in the back hit the same chain link as the a single tooth in the front. This is complicated by a 108 link chain b/c it too is divisable by 3. so 1 front tooth, and 3 back teeth only mesh with the same 36 teeth on the chain. If tool marks develop on any of the surfaces it will get bad 3 times as fast as a more random relationship.
COnsidering I ran a 15/45 with 108 links on a chain/sprockets to 32K + miles and the chain was barely worn, I wouldn't worry about it much. Plus I have around 20K on a 520 setup with the same ratio/chain. Run it nice and loose, for most people thats a much bigger issue than this.

Andy

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
ronlarimer said:
Suzuki did it stock.  It isn't so bad as long as you chain isn't 108 or 111 links.
you cannot have a 111 link chain, the master link will not connect, total # of links HAS to be even

1 - 16 of 16 Posts