Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Notify vendor of their mistake and return extras

Votes: 73 72.3%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mind is made up already, but this should be fun....

Hypothetical question: You place an order with a vendor of motorcycle clothing and when the box arrives, you have 2 of everything. After double checking your order, you see you were only charged for one. (of each item)

Do you:

A - Sell extra items on Craigslist, eBay, or SVrider and enjoy the windfall that offsets original prices paid.
B - Return extras for a full refund. (and enjoy your new FREE clothing)
C - Notify vendor of their mistake and return extra items.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I apologize in advance for being 'that' guy... But this is really a morality quiz or an integrity quiz, not an ethics quiz per se. Couldn't help myself. :D

Anyhow, I picked C. I would most definitely call the company and let them know of their mistake. However, I wouldn't pay for return shipping. That would be up to them to provide a return label. Otherwise, it's going on Ebay.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The choice is obviously C, as the other two are theft (no matter how justifiable or harmless it may seem).
As mentioned though, I'd say there's a very good chance that the person you reach in customer service won't want to deal with the return and the documentation and will tell you to keep it all.
Then you can do either option A or B and have no moral qualms about t.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Isn't ethics that whole study of moral principles/human code of conduct kind of thing? Maybe I have the definition wrong in my head.
I started trying to explain it, but then realized that I can pick out the difference between morality and ethics, but I was having a hard time trying to explain/define the two. So, I took the lazy way out and copied and pasted an answer to this from Wisegeeks.com. :roflmao:

Wise Geeks said:
The difference between ethics and morals can seem somewhat arbitrary to many, but there is a basic, albeit subtle, difference. Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied. In other words, ethics point to standards or codes of behavior expected by the group to which the individual belongs. This could be national ethics, social ethics, company ethics, professional ethics, or even family ethics. So while a person’s moral code is usually unchanging, the ethics he or she practices can be other-dependent.

When considering the difference between ethics and morals, it may be helpful to consider a criminal defense lawyer. Though the lawyer’s personal moral code likely finds murder immoral and reprehensible, ethics demand the accused client be defended as vigorously as possible, even when the lawyer knows the party is guilty and that a freed defendant would potentially lead to more crime. Legal ethics must override personal morals for the greater good of upholding a justice system in which the accused are given a fair trial and the prosecution must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
This isn't the full answer. Here is the rest: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-ethics-and-morals.htm

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would contact the vendor.

I have had this happen with computer parts a couple of times.

Funny thing is, half the time they told me to keep the Item and do action A with it because it would cost to much to send it back. :D
I actually had a cs rep ask me why I was "complaining". I told her "My mistake, I'm bad at math, I have exactly the amount I ordered."

She seemed to like that answer.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I apologize in advance for being 'that' guy... But this is really a morality quiz or an integrity quiz, not an ethics quiz per se. Couldn't help myself. :D
Morality, integrity and ethics are all tied together. Your ethics decide how you will be moral or how much integrity you have in my opinion.

Ethics, also known as moral philosophy, is a branch of philosophy that involves systematizing, defending, and recommending concepts of right and wrong behavior.
Morality (from the Latin moralitas "manner, character, proper behavior") is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and those that are bad (or wrong). A moral code is a system of morality (according to a particular philosophy, religion, culture, etc.) and a moral is any one practice or teaching within a moral code. The adjective moral is synonymous with "good" or "right." Immorality is the active opposition to morality (i.e. good or right), while amorality is variously defined as an unawareness of, indifference toward, or disbelief in any set of moral standards or principles.[1][2][3][4] An example of a moral code is the Golden Rule which states that, "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."[5]
The ethical concept of integrity is that of basing of one's actions on a consistent framework of principles.
Basically they all have to do with knowing the difference between right and wrong, Integrity is more admitting to your wrong doings.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Ethics are a very debatable subject. Your ethics can be personal or professional. I have worked in commissioned sales for many years and there is a balance. I personally would do the most to save my customers as much as possible, while still making money for the company.

Getting the customer the best deal on their monthly bill was more important to me then making an extra $10 on a sale, but that is my ethic and why I had repeat customers. Other people I worked with raped people for everything they could. Bottom line was I made more money them them, since my customers came back to me many times over.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Choice A. It sucks to be them but Im OK. They need to be taught that if they are going to run a business it is their responsibility to make sure their processes and/or employees are not a detriment.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If it is a good vendor, if you contact them they will likely tell you to keep it as long as its not ridicullusly expensive or reward you somehow for sending it back. Not why you should do it but still nice.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I would contact the vendor.

I have had this happen with computer parts a couple of times.

Funny thing is, half the time they told me to keep the Item and do action A with it because it would cost to much to send it back. :D
This has happened to me also with the same outcome. Ended up being told to just keep the item shipped incorrectly. :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Morality, integrity and ethics are all tied together. Your ethics decide how you will be moral or how much integrity you have in my opinion.

Basically they all have to do with knowing the difference between right and wrong, Integrity is more admitting to your wrong doings.
I agree they're all tied together. However, they are distinctly different. Otherwise, we'd have morality classes instead of ethics classes and such.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Honestly I would call and return them, my dignity is worth more then a couple hundred dollars of clothing.

About 6 years ago i bought 3 pallets of tile from home depot. when we got them home 1 of the pallets was a different color. They didn't have the right one so I had to drive 3 hours to Mesa to get it. When I got there I wheel through the checkout with a pallet jack and the kid at the register says "that will be $8.53". I had to tell him that he needed to multiply that by like 75 cases. So when I get home there is like $1800 in cash on the table, I asked my wife about it and she said that when she went to get the refund for the wrong pallet they gave her that (she had no idea how much it costs). So I had to go back to home depot and return the extra money because they had refunded the entire order not just the 1 pallet. The manager just looked at me like I was an idiot and said "so you want to return the money?" I think he probably pocketed it, but that is not my problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My dad bought a TV online. Short version of the story:

They sent him 2 TVs, only charged for one
He let them know. Basically they had no idea what to do, he talked to several people several times over a couple of weeks before they finally sent a return label
Sent back the extra TV -- they then credited his account for the purchase (now he has 1 TV and has paid nothing)
Again he called and let them know their mistake, talked to several people over a couple weeks.... they never did charge him again -- so he basically got a free TV.

There are honest mistakes, but some companies are just so incompetent at customer service that they screw themselves.

I do believe we should let people know if they make a mistake in our favor -- but after you let them know, its their responsibility to correct it. My dad went way out of his way (and did way more than I would have -- i guess he's a good example)...

Anyway - i'd say you let them know... but its their job to fix it after that!

·
Administrator
11,045 Posts
Yup, just contact the vendor. They'll tell you what to do.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts