Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Ethanol is a bad idea in the US. Okay in Brazil where they grow sugar cane. A lot of sugar cane. This issue will go on until most humans are moved to Mars or perhaps the majority to Pluto. The universe would breathe a huge sigh of relief.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ethanol is a bad idea in the US. Okay in Brazil where they grow sugar cane. A lot of sugar cane. This issue will go on until most humans are moved to Mars or perhaps the majority to Pluto. The universe would breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Yep, I'd breathe a huge sigh of relief if most humans moved to Pluto. But in the meantime, I'm stuck behind Grandpa going exactly 4 MPH under the speed limit, and it p!sses me off big time.

Yeah, the documentary I was watching held up Brazil as a shining example of energy independence. It's a fallacy that ethanol makes food cost more, as most of the corn used to make the stuff would otherwise be thrown out, though. I think I'll stick with gasoline for the time being- until technology improves, at least.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
OK, I just watched a documentary about oil. Let's face it, then era of oil is ending. Thankfully I'm 63 years old, so when that last drop of gas gets pumped, I'll be resting in my grave (sitting on my SV, if I have my way).
What documentary did you see? Why did you take it at face value?

Just based on your age you should know that claim has been made as long as you have lived, and always been wrong. Right now there is so much oil the Saudis are running a price war to knockout the frackers. We are nowhere near running out of oil, any shortage would be a soft fail where the price just kept creeping higher so the cost/benefit changed. The current push seems more political than anything. Why they want to reduce freedom and opportunity for so many people is beyond me. And should be beyond you.

Sorry, but after reading this I had to go for your base premise, cause it's wrong.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
But in the meantime, I'm stuck behind Grandpa going exactly 4 MPH under the speed limit, and it p!sses me off big time.

Dave, you sound like a prime candidate for an SV1K!:) This very thing happened to me Sunday....came upon three Harley riders choking up one of my favorite roads...like they seem to always do. They even had a truck towing a big trailer full of lawn mowers stuck behind them, and were spaced out so far that they thought nobody would be able to get around their 'formation'.

4th gear from 3500, tuck, pin the throttle and hold on. Went past the last guy about 125 and didn't use half of the 1/4 mile straightaway passing zone. Got to love torque that keeps increasing to the redline.:)

·
Registered
618 Posts
As said before, its fine for vehicles which are DESIGNED to handle it, older ones and small engines, not so much. My YZF750 has been through multiple seals in the carbs and fuel pump due to E10 (mainly when I used to ride with the Chicago guys from a different website. Cant find pure gas anywhere around Chi-town). Here we have Kwik Trip's and their premium is 100% gas.

Guy at works new Silverado loses 6mpg when he uses E85. Wouldn't be so bad if E85 was a lot cheaper than regular, but here its not much cheaper than regular.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sorry, but after reading this I had to go for your base premise, cause it's wrong.
My base premise is that the world is running out of oil, and that's not wrong. I agree that the price is mostly political. That's not wrong either. But already the largest oil fields in the world are coffing up 20% sand. That's not a good sign.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
. But already the largest oil fields in the world are coffing up 20% sand. That's not a good sign.
Since I recently saw a Public TV thing about how the world is running out of sand*.....that's a good thing. :thumbsup:

*And that's a real claim now, the world is running out of sand. Oh, and what fields are the "largest in the world" that they're talking about? Along with size, location matters.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Since Oh, and what fields are the "largest in the world" that they're talking about? Along with size, location matters.
The United Arab Emirates sit on the largest oil fields in the world. Why do you think we're over there fighting? It's certainly not about democracy.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Dave, you sound like a prime candidate for an SV1K!:) This very thing happened to me Sunday....came upon three Harley riders choking up one of my favorite roads...like they seem to always do. They even had a truck towing a big trailer full of lawn mowers stuck behind them, and were spaced out so far that they thought nobody would be able to get around their 'formation'.

4th gear from 3500, tuck, pin the throttle and hold on. Went past the last guy about 125 and didn't use half of the 1/4 mile straightaway passing zone. Got to love torque that keeps increasing to the redline.:)
Sounds good to me! The last time I passed a bunch of Harleys it was an outlaw motorcycle gang, and when they caughtt up with me at the restaurant up the road, it got ugly. Lots of threats and them telling me it was "guys like you (meaning me) who make for helmet laws." I laughed at them.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
My base premise is that the world is running out of oil, and that's not wrong
you could be right, you could just as easily be wrong

contrary to popular belief, oil does not come from dead dinosaurs

for all you know, plankton is settling to the bottom of the oceans and compressing into oil faster than we are using it

The United Arab Emirates sit on the largest oil fields in the world..
maybe, maybe not, more than likely the larges oil fields in the world are yet to be discovered

iirc what I learned in school, if it were true, we would have run out of oil 20 years ago and now there are more known reserves than all the reserves that were known of in the 1960s

the science is not even close to being settled

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
I always argue that if something is actually a legitimate fuel it needs to offer more energy than it takes to make it. Oil easily qualifies, but not so with ethanol. Every time I've checked making ethanol takes quite a bit more energy than what remains when it's finished and ready for the tank. So it's a drain on our energy resources rather than helping it.

Brazil has tons and tons of leftover sugar cane and their alcohol creation makes a lot more sense than us using any food worthy grains to convert into fuel for our cars. The cost of food HAS increased because of the ethanol business in the USA...and any surplus corn we used to have went cheaply to other countries where they're all angry that their burritos cost a lot more now.

The biggest argument against ethanol is that any OBD 2 equipped vehicle makes exactly the same emissions with E10 as straight gas. Only carburetted engines benefit at all from oxygenated fuels and nobody has been able to document any pollution benefit from all the EPA mandated fuel blends across the USA. It's a gigantic make-work project for EPA workers and really screws up the distribution network in the country where a single refinery going down causes massive problems for that segment that was using that particular blend. No other refineries can cover the shortages so the people PAY dearly.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Sounds good to me! The last time I passed a bunch of Harleys it was an outlaw motorcycle gang, and when they caughtt up with me at the restaurant up the road, it got ugly. Lots of threats and them telling me it was "guys like you (meaning me) who make for helmet laws." I laughed at them.
WOW, that could have been bloody ugly.

Lesson learned: avoid stopping at a restaurant with really SLOOOW service, and DON'T order a 2ND piece of PIE after dinner. They may catch up to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds good to me! The last time I passed a bunch of Harleys it was an outlaw motorcycle gang, and when they caughtt up with me at the restaurant up the road, it got ugly. Lots of threats and them telling me it was "guys like you (meaning me) who make for helmet laws." I laughed at them..
Are there states that require helmets?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts