Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after owning an R6 for almost 3 years I've decided I want something more street friendly and that would be the SV. When I bought it, it was COMPLETELY stock and less than 4k miles on it, I already have an idea of what I want to do and getting more ideas as I browse this forum. Already ordered frame and swingarm sliders, and an integrated turn signal/tail light kit which I think will look awsome w/the the strips. I plan to make a DIY fender eliminator once I figure out how the bike is structured, alot of differences from the R6.

Here it is the day I bought it:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Comment thread is here: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=2196912#post2196912

Time to update this thread a bit, here are some updates I have done while still riding the bike in the summer/fall:

Added a cheapo China tank protector

I went w/Trex frame sliders, they are the same design as motosliders and seem to be of good quality. Also threw on some vortex swingarm sliders.

Next I rigged up a Clear alternatives integrated tail/turn signals. This is the kit that came with:

Here is how it ended up looking (Did not get a fender elim at the time yet) I liked the look of the red stock signals, at night you can't tell these are clear. I didn't end up using the resistors or w/e so the signals blink fast but its not a big deal. Also I spliced my OEM connectors to the new tail which should help in the future should I have to remove the tail:

Next I installed an OEM seat cowl, best bang for the buck on an aftermarket seat considering how outrageous the price for a Corbin or Sargent is. This is a comparison:

And here is the final product. I like it alot, but the longest I've ridden is maybe 45 mins so I can't say I really benefit all that much:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From this point on I got started on my "winter mods", around late Oct or early Nov it's too cold for me to ride in the Chicago area. Some of the afternoons were bearable but I had already winterized it so w/e.

Forgot to mention that 1/2 way thru the summer I connected the aTRE that is so popular on this forum. No pics, very simple just plug it in and go. I want to say that it helped smooth things out but I have no conclusive results. Overall I am satisfied with the purchase if only for the minimal cost involved.

1st winter mod was an OEM fender elim I was able to snag up for cheap on ebay. Unfortunately I would have preferred black but I guess that's why it was on clearance. I may powdercoat in the future or something. It's a scam they didn't use these in the 1st place but w/e. Here is a pic for comparison (sorry for the blue tint, I was using a new camera at the time):

This product still has the notorious undertail "gap" showing. The tank prop sticks out and the fuses are no longer secured. The storage area is really starting to look like a mess, lol.

Next I ordered up some knockoff short levers in black. The price is good considering the adjustability, I could never justify spending close to $200. Here is a comparison shot with stock:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some upcoming mods that I already have lined up

1. Sonic springs (.85) and thicker fork oil (15w) and spacers. I prefer doing this instead of a gixxer swap because then I feel like I'd be working on 2 diff bikes in 1, this seemed like the easiest and cheapest route to take which motivates me most.

2. SS front/rear brake lines and pads from galfer, and new brake fluid. The rear doesn't really need this mod but it's so cost effective I just can't say no. I really enjoyed this mod alot on my old R6 so it's a given here.

3. Of course the 07ZX10 shock is a given, this was an ebay pickup, all hardware included. Not a bad find considering these seem to have gone up in price over the years. I think only 1k or 2k on this shock so that's not much at all, just a lil dirty. I removed the battery box extra piece that is necessary to do this mod, it was ridiculously hard and I was disappointed it's such a minor piece.

I plan to do these mods when I get some time and help. I'll also put on some new tires since it still has 5-6 year old stockers on there. Even tho there's only 4k of light use on them I found myself sliding a bit on mornings. Already have Michelon Pilot Powers ordered.

Some future mods I would like to get my hands on if the price is right: Puig or some other long screen, sv1k snorkel, PC3, full exhaust, bellypan and radiator plastics.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

so i swapped the stock snorkel for an sv1k snorkel. another pic of the difference is above, nothing new here. i dont think there will be too much difference but this is another low investment and easy mod that cant really hurt.
as a side note, it was much harder to get the stock snorkel off than i thought, everyone says "just pull it off" but it took a little pressure and manuevering, hopefully i didnt crack my airbox anywhere. the sv1k snorkel slid into place pretty easily tho.

as a side note, i have a pc3 and full system on the way, cant wait to get started on that and start taking pics.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Bought an OEM tank bra/cover which I think is superior to all those little pro-grip pads. The only downside is that if it rains it doesn't seem like ill be able to use this cover, but I do have a pro-grip type cover underneath so that's fine. I don't ride in the rain often anyway.
Side note, i have to let it confrom it seems, the temperature in the garage is a little low. the instructions say to leave the bike in the sun after attaching it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Added a Puig race windscreen which i've been looking for at a decent price forever. My only other option was a givi but i couldnt find an affordable 1.
Also i finally got my seat cowl painted to match and installed. No grab bar delete pieces but i kind of like the look w/the bar, almost like a spoiler lol.
Still waiting until things warm up to do the more time consuming mods: full exhaust, PC3, forks, shock swap. this is how it sits today (could probably use a lower fairing and front signals of some sort to look complete)....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I finally got done just in time for winter w/some major mods that took a while: ZX10 shock, sonic springs and 15wt oil, Galfer SS brake lines and pads front and rear, and Leo Vince full exhaust (sounds like a beast).
I lost the seat cowl after it flew off while riding (I guess I didn't torque it enough after having it painted) I will def replace it in the future.
Suspension feels good, still have to adjust the shock. Brakes feel great, the OEM ones had some life so I will save em just in case.

For the future I don't have a good idea of what direction I really want. Figure I will upgrade the front signals, I hear z1000 mirrors can fit (I hate bar ends), maybe I will find some rad shrouds or bellypans for cheap but dont really wanna spend the $$

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been a while since an update but here is what's been going on. I installed 2010 Kawi Z1000 mirrors thanks to inspiration from member "Jay V" and a little help. The funny thing about these mirrors is they don't install like OEM so I thought someone accidentally locktited the adjuster bolts at the base. In reality, the mirrors are 1 piece, screw on, and then twist (almost effortlessly) to any position you want. If only I had pushed a little harder I would have realized this, instead I ended up blowtorching and removing the mirror base that was loctited on (obviously for a reason) :facepalm:
In the end I like them a lot because I think bar ends are just ugly, and I think these are different due to their edgy look (most ppl like tuono or other round replacements). Visibility is OK, about the same as OEM I'd say.

Next on the list was a *********** (UK) hugger and bellypan. The hugger install was simple and looks great, looks like good quality (vs ebay stuff). All hardware and instructions were provided. It was backordered and took less than 20 days to arrive:

The bellypan didn't go so smoothly. I started installing the left side, looked pretty good:

When I ran into the other side I realized that due to the aftermarket exhaust (and headers) the "grill" piece wouldn't fit:

I thought "whatever" I would just ride without that piece, no big deal for me. I then ran into 2 more problems: The final, rear, right side bracket wouldn't attach, again due to the pipes being in the way. I was thinking I might compromise again, ride with 3 out of 4 brackets but as the layout was, the bellypan was making pretty good contact with the pipe and I worry it would melt or warp in the long run so I said forget it. I'm going to try to send it back or possibly resell online to someone with a stock pipe:

Anyway, here is how the bike looks now. I still plan on getting sleeker turn signals and a seat cowl eventually. I really would like a nice bellypan but after this issue I dunno if it's feasible unless I getto-rig it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts