Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my SV for three years now and I've never done any big services to it other than oil changes, stabil in the tank in the winter, and a little seafoam in the gas tank.

My bike has been running great all summer except for a little finnicky-ness after rain if I forget to throw the cover over it. Sometimes, the front cylinder won't fire because rain tends to seep into the spark plug. It runs fine on one cylinder for a minute and usually the front cylinder comes back.

I took my bike out after a rain (the bike was covered during the rain) and it had a little trouble starting and needed a bit of choke. Once it got going, it seemed to misfire pretty badly over 4k RPM. Once the engine warmed up, the misfire went away and the bike felt pretty good.

I parked it and when I went to fire it up the next day, it took a few tries (as it sometimes does) but it started up with a bit of choke. About 30 seconds later, the RPMs slowly dropped and the engine died. I tried a few times to get the engine started again...it would start but die moments later.

I pulled the plugs today and the rear plug had oil on it. The front one looked a little black but OK. I replaced both anyways and it still won't run. When I went to check the airbox, I found a pool of oil at the bottom of the box.

My last oil change was probably two months ago. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed the oil was barely above the LOW mark, so I added about 300ml and rode it probably 6 or 7 times before this happened. When I check the oil now, it's below the LOW mark.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You need to run a leak down test, sounds like some blow-by, especially that rear cylinder if there's oil on the plug. Leaving it out in the rain isn't good for it, covered or not...lots of electrical gremlins come to be with that, but you can only do what you can do right? Check the breather lines to the airbox, mine was loose and I was losing oil like crazy out the back crankcase vent, make sure they're snug, clean some electrical connectors on the bike just to be safe, just look the bike over for causes to the symptoms. Best of luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I'm also wondering if it could be something easy like the valve cover gasket? Would I see any other symptoms from that?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
A leaking valve gasket would show signs of oil leaking down the sides of the cylinder. Do you have any visible signs of oil leaking anywhere? A small leak of oil will not cause the engine to stall. Something else is going on. What do the insides of the plug caps look like, especially the front? Use a bit of dielectric grease in the caps and see if there is a difference. Even an engine with poor compression or leaking valve guide seals would still idle and not stall. However, there may be a correlation between the oil leve and the poor running issue. How many miles on the engine? A bit of oil in the airbox is normal, a great deal is not. Take a look at the crankcase breather filter at the bottom of the airbox. Maybe it's all gummed up and clogging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts