Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 sv650 and am in the process of switching out the instrument cluster bulbs to LED. One thing I've noticed is that my temperature LED never comes on, even when you first turn the key to ON. I'm assuming this bike is similar to cars in that if the light doesn't turn on when you turn to ON it will never turn on(burnt out LED).

Can anyone else with a 1st gen naked tell me if their engine temp light turns on with the key ON? My red oil light definitely comes on and then turns off once I start up, which is why I am weary that the temperature one is broken, though hopefully only burnt out.

If this has been answered elsewhere I have yet to find it, but would be obliged if anyone would provide a link.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I have owned 3 naked gen1's and I never ever saw any of there lights come on, ever... even the one with a leak in its radiator that I used to commute in center city traffic in the summer.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you suggesting that the bike is hardy or that the lights tend to fail early in their life?
This is my first water cooled bike (used to ride BMW airheads when I was under my dad's roof), so even having a temp light is new to me, but I just want to be sure it's functional, otherwise its presence is negligible.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
For some reason the bulb doesn't light up on "key on". You can test it easily. On the right side of the bike in the thermostat housing there is a sensor. There is a black wire with a green stripe plugged into the sensor. Short that wire up with the key switch on and the lamp should light up.

This doesn't tell you that the switch itself is or is not working, but it will tell you if the warning lamp circuit is intact.

To test the switch you have to remove it and put it in a hot oil bath.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason the bulb doesn't light up on "key on". You can test it easily. On the right side of the bike in the thermostat housing there is a sensor. There is a black wire with a green stripe plugged into the sensor. Short that wire up with the key switch on and the lamp should light up.

This doesn't tell you that the switch itself is or is not working, but it will tell you if the warning lamp circuit is intact.

To test the switch you have to remove it and put it in a hot oil bath.
Sweet, thanks for your help! 'Short' to power or ground, though? Luckily this WI weather (40s) will probably never allow me to overheat, but it's just stuck in my head now since I didn't see it light up.

P.S. has anyone ever used the emoticon of the two smilies embracing? seems weird for a motorcycle forum...

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Short to ground. Whenever there's a switch with a single wire (not a pair) running to it the wire is generally hot and shorting will operate the function.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Short to ground. Whenever there's a switch with a single wire (not a pair) running to it the wire is generally hot and shorting will operate the function.
if it was hot it would blow fuse touching ground with it.
put volt meter on it and tell us how many volts are in that wire.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
The thermostat housing on my bike is under the tank, on top of the motor, right between the cylinders. Touching the black with green stripe wire to ground should make the light come on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts