Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold an 07 SV650S to my buddy a few weeks ago, I had it since new and never noticed what temp the fan comes on. he called me today and was in traffic and noticed the temp at 210 deg at times at stop lights, wondering if the fan should have kicked in.

Chet

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
in 135,000 miles of riding my SV, I can remember all 3 times my fan ever came on and where I was, first time was at 38k, I had been riding back roads following my wife on there CM250, first time she ever rode on street rarely over 25, maybe 30 mph for several hours on a warm day, we pulled over to stop for a break and it came on STARTLED!!! me I freaked out a new noise my bike had never made, then sitting at the light on RT 60 in blue ridge GA at the intersection with 76 on a hot day after several hours floggin in twisties, and the last time on a hot summer day stuck in traffic on Rt 1 in Wells, ME

if your constantly moving at any speed don't ever expect the fan to trigger

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My fan kicks in at 220+ and brings it back down to around 210 if it is hot and I get caught in traffic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is so funny, I often rode in NYC in gridlock at 95+ degrees outside, and I do not remember days when the fan WOULD NOT kick in LOL! It does it above 215 I think or so...

·
Registered
978 Posts
the only real worry is if you don't have the fan installed (like me). then you should have the coolant tempt (i.e. not engine temp) displayed on the console in your peripheral.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I sold an 07 SV650S to my buddy a few weeks ago, I had it since new and never noticed what temp the fan comes on. he called me today and was in traffic and noticed the temp at 210 deg at times at stop lights, wondering if the fan should have kicked in.

Chet
Newer 2nd gen fans go on at 220 degrees. Well, actually they turn on around 219, but they will go up a degree or so before it starts showing up on the temp gauge.

Earlier 2nd gen fans go on at around 210 degrees.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Newer 2nd gen fans go on at 220 degrees. Well, actually they turn on around 219, but they will go up a degree or so before it starts showing up on the temp gauge.

Earlier 2nd gen fans go on at around 210 degrees.
219 here, and like you said, temp gauge registers 220 before it goes down. (09 650sf)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Did you buy your bike new? They sell different fan activation switches that have a lower activation point, such as 200 or so.

To install it, I think you need to drain the radiator since it's connected to the radiator on the right side.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mine doesn't turn on until exactly 215...cools it down to 200ish, then turns off.

I live in AZ, and comute in the worst of summer on the bike. Even sitting in traffic the fan rarely comes on.

In fact, as long as the bike is moving, it stays at exactly 184....

Tell him to look for cars and ride on

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wow, I'm spent a week in Arizona during summer (opposite of what usually happens), I can't imagine riding a motorcycle in summer there.

If any state needed legal lane splitting its Arizona.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts