Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner rider and just did my first oil change yesterday. I followed clymer manual step by step. After filled new oil, I started the engine and about 30secs later, I saw smoke coming from engine. Specifically from oil filter area. Had like a burning rubber smell or something. I decided to let it sit for day. I started again earlier today and same thing happened. I dont know what I did wrong. Hope nothing serious. Anyone know? Sorry for being a complete noob.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
It could just be excess oil dripping onto the header and burning off, but better safe then sorry. Check your filter and make sure it is snug on there. I have seen the o-ring come off the old filter and stick to the mounting surface which (obvioulsy) means the new one will not fit right and will leak.

Next thing would be to clean the motor off really really well (Dawn dish detergent is good for this) and see if you can find a drip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just spent bout 30mins examing my bike and the oil filter is nice and tight. I did notice 1 small drop coming from engine during that duration but that was it. I did notice the oil level is lil bit over the F mark so I took some out and got it between F and L. There is still smoke but no as much as before. And the smoke is actually coming from the pipe. Coming where the 2 pipes connect, I guess the head pipe. I used valvoline 4str motorycle oil. Am I safe? Is it just a case of excess oil?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Does sound like too much to me, and it likely wont hurt the bike to ride it out, but if it were mine I would drain a little bit. I am paranoid, but paranoia keeps the bike running nice. It is smoking from the joint in the pipe just because that is where it collects when it drips on a cold pipe, so no worries there.

It's strange, but the more you work on bikes the less you notice when they smoke on startup. Just kind of par for the course, but I understand the reaction. It takes getting used to not to worry when you see/smell smoke, completely natural reaction.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I will drain lil bit more and ride out the excess. I hate being a complete noob. Thank you very much for helping, guys.
Hey thats the only way you will learn new things. I remember when I did my 1st oil change on my 88 celica. I turned the car on with the dip stick out and got a nice shot of warm oil to my face. As I was jumping around trying to figure how to make it stop, it dawned on me to shut off the car. :p

You will have many more noob adventures, just keep the damage to a minimum (no loss of body parts).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts