Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking my valve clearance right now, which way does the engine rotate, clockwise or counterclockwise or am I being stupid and it doesnt matter?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well if you are looking at the bike from the shifter side, the transmission rotates counterclockwise. So I would assume that the engine rotates clockwise from that same view. I don't really know I'm just trying to see it in my head.

·
Registered
254 Posts
evilbologna said:
Checking my valve clearance right now, which way does the engine rotate, clockwise or counterclockwise or am I being stupid and it doesnt matter?
I know with timing belt driven motors, if you rotate it the opposite way it can cause the belt to slip a tooth.  Not sure if it'll be the same case with the timing chain on the SV.  Most automotive motors rotate clockwise.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
The timing view hole and cover are on the left side.

Rotating in the wrong direction won't do anything to the motor.

Don't back up to check clearance, though. If you cycle past - go all the way around and try again, just to be sure you get a clear reading.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruefus said:
The timing view hole and cover are on the left side. 

Rotating in the wrong direction won't do anything to the motor.

Don't back up to check clearance, though.  If you cycle past - go all the way around and try again, just to be sure you get a clear reading.
Gracious. And for those that were wondering, I meant from the left side of the bike as thats where I'll be rotating my engine from.

So it doesnt matter which direction as long as I dont back up to check clearance?

Oh yeah, one other thing, the coolant shoots pretty far out of the drain hole.

·
Registered
683 Posts
this being a month ago i'm sure you already have your answer. for the sake of putting it down on 'paper' though, the manual says to rotate the engine counterclockwise with respect to the generator rotor.

looking at the sv from the shift linkage side, you turn ther engine towards the front wheel.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
this being a month ago i'm sure you already have your answer. for the sake of putting it down on 'paper' though, the manual says to rotate the engine counterclockwise with respect to the generator rotor.

looking at the sv from the shift linkage side, you turn ther engine towards the front wheel.
A month ago? Try 3 frickin' years! Christ...where'd you dredge this thread up from?

·
Registered
683 Posts
whoops. wasn't looking at the year, just the date. sorry.

disregard. was doing a search, and came across this.

flamesuit on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts