Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, new to the forum here but I,ve been lurking for a few weeks now. I bought my first sv. Its a 2001 that had a bad rod bearing. The po wheelied it a lot thus starving the crank of oil. I have the engine apart and the crank out. everything looks great but the front bearing journal and rod, there was harldly anything left of the bearing. My bike has 5800 mile on it. I Have located a used low mileage crank and rods. They are on the way to me now. I have a few questions about what i should do while I have it apart.

Should I hone the cly walls and replace the rings? The cyl walls still have the crosshatching and there is very minimal wear on the pistons.

Should I replace all the head gaskets?

Where should I get the bearings and required gaskets? Also what are the different color bearings the have online? I guess sizes? What gaskets are required. I dont want a leaker.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi Everybody, new to the forum here but I,ve been lurking for a few weeks now. I bought my first sv. Its a 2001 that had a bad rod bearing. The po wheelied it a lot thus starving the crank of oil. I have the engine apart and the crank out. everything looks great but the front bearing journal and rod, there was harldly anything left of the bearing. My bike has 5800 mile on it. I Have located a used low mileage crank and rods. They are on the way to me now. I have a few questions about what i should do while I have it apart.

Should I hone the cly walls and replace the rings? The cyl walls still have the crosshatching and there is very minimal wear on the pistons.

Should I replace all the head gaskets?

Where should I get the bearings and required gaskets? Also what are the different color bearings the have online? I guess sizes? What gaskets are required. I dont want a leaker.

Thanks for the help!
Surprised nobody has answered this one yet...

I have a 2001 also, with the same problem. I am still working on an engine transplant to put a 2-stroke Honda CR500 engine into it. However, I've been offered some money for my old SV engine if I can show it running, so I tore into it a few weeks ago just to see what needed help for my own educational value.

Everything looks OK in mine for the most part. It was rebuilt once by the previous owner. One of the clutch bolts is broken off and missing. The nut that holds the clutch basket in place was spinning freely. I found a bolt just laying in the bottom of the crankcase!!!! :tard: It turns out it belongs to the metal plate behind the starter sprag, the other bolt that holds it in is also loose and about to fall out. The rods were put in backwards with the wrong side facing the intake valuve, not sure what difference it makes, but maybe its why the bearings blew out prematurely again (aside from the excessive wheelies and lack of oil put into it that I am assuming.) A lot of this engine was also seemingly stuck back together by JB Weld, it looks like it was to stop oil leaks... IT IS GOOD PRACTICE TO ALWAYS REPLACE GASKETS! In the case of this engine, the gaskets weren't even there at all!

Anyways, the crank bushings/bearings were destroyed on the front cylinder, the rear one is starting to pit badly. The crank journal looks a bit oval for the front cylinder, not quite sure if its OK yet, I haven't measured. The different colored bearings are different sizes like you said, which one you need depends on the numbers stamped on your rods and crank. The manual states this information on pages 3-59 to 3-60. In my case I will probably have to use a thicker bearing for the front rod because the crank is rather worn.

I don't think you need to hone the cylinder unless you plan to put new rings. I would'nt think you need rings yet at 5800 miles, but if you've got it torn apart already then go for it. :thumbsup: Don't bother honing the cylinders unless you replace the rings. The only purpose of honing is to make the rings seat against the pistons. Your old rings are already seated properly.

As far as parts, your local dealer is always an option, but seldom ever the cheapest. BikeBandit.com and CheapCycleParts.com are a few people's favorites on some other forums I participate on.

Best of luck with your project... whats the status now?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts