Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be purchasing an old 1964 honda dream 150 motorcycle. I want to give it to an engine guy to clean up and rebuild if necessary. I want to return this to stock so I don't really want to do an engine swap. Engine turns free but is missing some basic parts. (points contact plate, ect) Can anyone tell me if this is worth it and how much I would be looking at? I want to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. Note actual bike is only going to cost me about $300 or less hence the only reason I am considering this.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask the engine guy. Then go ask other engine guys.

Or do it yourself and only pay for parts.
Engine guys are asking to see the engine before quoting (don't blame them either). Since I don't own the bike yet I can't do this. Kind of the chicken/egg scenario. I am just looking for ballpark numbers just to see if it is worth it. I have never rebuilt an engine and I will try but I want to know how much it will cost approximately if I can't do it.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
We can't answer that for you. Some may offer you a number, but they're just grasping at straws. If you want a real answer, we need more details. Pics help.

Rebuilding an engine is never "worth" it. All that matters is whether you want to do it and don't mind spending the cash needed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We can't answer that for you. Some may offer you a number, but they're just grasping at straws. If you want a real answer, we need more details. Pics help.

Rebuilding an engine is never "worth" it. All that matters is whether you want to do it and don't mind spending the cash needed.
I am not looking for someone to tell me an exact number. I know that is impossible. I am just looking for people to tell me their past experiences so I might be able to see some kind of range. Example: did a lot of people in the past get theirs rebuilt for $100 or did it cost them $10,000? I just don't even know what an average range would be like.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Don't mind Brad. He's a pain in the ass. And he has a problem with newbs.

I think he's just old and cranky.

:-*

·
very big dumb
8,893 Posts
I am not looking for someone to tell me an exact number. I know that is impossible. I am just looking for people to tell me their past experiences so I might be able to see some kind of range. Example: did a lot of people in the past get theirs rebuilt for $100 or did it cost them $10,000? I just don't even know what an average range would be like.
for a full rebuild of a four-stroke single cylinder you're looking at 500-1000. with honing and stuff. parts additional.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Don't mind Brad. He's a pain in the ass. And he has a problem with newbs.

I think he's just old and cranky.

:-*

LAWLZ

Ain't got no problem with them thar nuuubs. Old and cranky? You might be onto something there.

OP: Get the bike and give us some details.

It'll cost more than a dollar and likely less than $10,000.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Find out what Honda Dreams for the year and displacement are worth on Ebay or by Googling. Are you concerned with the resale after fixing or is this maybe the bike will be worth a lot more if I fix it up or do you just want to fix and ride the bike and keep? Mad8 gave you a realistic range for working on a single in a shop.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Find out what Honda Dreams for the year and displacement are worth on Ebay or by Googling. Are you concerned with the resale after fixing or is this maybe the bike will be worth a lot more if I fix it up or do you just want to fix and ride the bike and keep? Mad8 gave you a realistic range for working on a single in a shop.

I would keep it so resale is not really a big concern. Would use it as a putz around town bike. Mad8 kind of confirmed what my other research is turning up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts