Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my SV this august and recently it has been exhibiting what I believe is the cam chain
noise at idle. I do not have a garage for my bike so all work I do has to be done in an open parking
lot. Is it possible for me to switch the tensioners out without dropping the motor? How much
should I expect to pay for parts? and lastly If i have to take it to a dealership what should I expect to
be charged for parts and labor?

Here is the video of the noise

Thank you guys for the help, I'm still new to the V-twin motors and I really don't want to screw this up.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You do not need to drop the motor to work on the tensioners. I did remove the rear wheel to gain better access for the rear which is located above the rear cyl. header pipe. Call your local dealer to find out about rates and charges. You can obtain internet pricing on parts from BikeBandit or Cheapcycleparts, Ronayers and others. Not sure if you have an issue or not, it's been awhile since I owned a SV.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thats what it sounds like. They are really cheap at the local parts store for me. One really handy tool for working on that tensioner is a set of extendened woble allen sockets. Lowes has the set for like $30 bucks. Once you put the new CCT in remove the 10mm cap on the motor and rotate it by hand a few times with the spark plugs out to allow the CCT to fully extend before starting. Wouldn't hurt to pull the valve cover and make sure you haven't skipped any teeth.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thats what it sounds like. They are really cheap at the local parts store for me. One really handy tool for working on that tensioner is a set of extendened woble allen sockets. Lowes has the set for like $30 bucks. Once you put the new CCT in remove the 10mm cap on the motor and rotate it by hand a few times with the spark plugs out to allow the CCT to fully extend before starting. Wouldn't hurt to pull the valve cover and make sure you haven't skipped any teeth.
The valve cover and timing plugs should have already been removed prior to removing the CCT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts