Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a wired problem. Occasionally if while in neurtral I rev the bike to about 7k a few times and let it wind down on the 2nd or 3rd time I get a single pop from the engine, not from the exhaust. then the engine stumbles and on more than 1 occasion died completely. it sound like its coming from the front cylinder but I cant be sure. Bike has about 16k on the clock and has had the carbs cleaned repeatedly. I have checked all the rubber parts in the carbs and they all look good.

What say you? Sticky valve? empty bowls?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't have carbs on my SV, but I have had carburetors and it definitely sounds like a lean condition. Possibly floating/stuck intake valve. With the engine reving high and the throttle closed there is a lot of vacuum being created and it's sucking too much air. What about floats? Or float levels? If the carbs have recently been serviced something may have been moved or bodged somehow. Check the fuel hose/filter to make sure fuel is flowing freely. Do you have an idle mix screw? Like I said, I am not familiar with SV carbs, but just takin a stab at some generic carb things.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
What you describe could be either lean or rich conditions. Both will result in backfiring, for slightly different reasons.

If it only happens when revving unloaded then I wouldn't worry about it. Revving unloaded will often lead to rich misfire. That unburned fuel gets into the tailpipe and ignites on the next hot exhaust stroke.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I thought but it doesnt seem to be coming from the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
help?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i put tank raisers. still sometimes pop, but got less. it happens when i'm down shifting. i guess it's because it's got more air in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts