Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO my tach isnt working right and i cant find anything in the forum about tach issues like mine. like the title states the tach reads 2,500 if the ignition is in the on position engine off...and when i start the bike the rpms go to around 4,000....
i just bought the bike and the PO didnt know why the bike was this way...im at a loss at guessing and testing.. ive checked fuses and connections but nothing seems to change anything.

any advice would be great thank you!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If the PO didn't remove the tach needle at any time, then perhaps the tach coils are to blame and the tach is defective. You could disassemble the tach and remove the needle by prying the needle from below using a fork. Then turn on the ignition and re-install the needle against the stop and see if the tach behaves properly. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
You can check the tach needle position by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect and watch the needle. If it is calibrated correctly, it will swing up to 7k (this will only happen once, you'll need to disconnect for another few minutes if you want to retest). Higher or lower than 7k means the needle is positioned incorrectly on the tach drive stem as RMAN suggested. If that is the problem it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I did your test and it bounced to like 3,500....so i put the ignition to on it jumped up to 2,500...i popped off the needle with a fork, put it back on at zero and its currently idling at 1,500 per the guage, im thinking the actual rpms are lower than indicated, im going to have to go back and pop it off while its idling and set it arount 1,100 as that is what it sounds like its at (aka really slow idle).

Thanks for your help guys, hopfully this is a long term fix and i dont have rr or charging problems like others have reported with wacky tachs....

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
You can set the SV tach needle pretty close like this:

With gauge open and power ON, install the needle one "needle width" BELOW the tach stop, then rotate the needle all the way counterclockwise to its proper position ABOVE the stop. Power off the gauge for a few minutes then check for proper swing up to the 7k mark. You may need to try a couple times, so don't push the needle on all the way at first.

The R/R on the gen2 SV is very reliable, so probably not the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can check the tach needle position by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect and watch the needle. If it is calibrated correctly, it will swing up to 7k (this will only happen once, you'll need to disconnect for another few minutes if you want to retest). Higher or lower than 7k means the needle is positioned incorrectly on the tach drive stem as RMAN suggested. If that is the problem it is an easy fix.
I'm doing a Lazarus with this thread - I recently changed the battery on my K6 after the old one got too weak to crank the motor in cold weather.

When I switched the ignition on with the new battery installed, the tacho needle swung up to 7K, then fell back to show the actual rpm once the engine had fired up.

I was concerned this was a sign of gremlins in the dash / electrical system. But thanks to the deep pool of knowledge on the forum, I now know it's normal :eek:ccasion14:

·
Greetings Program
6,274 Posts
Yep - if the battery is disconnected for more than a few seconds, at first power on, it does the sweep to test and make sure it's not hanging up on anything. If familiar with PC nomenclature, it's a POST. (Power On Self Test.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts