Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I believe I have a rod knock. At first I assumed it was just an exhaust leak because i could only hear it while heavy on the throttle. Now it is getting louder and it’s basically anytime I’m passed 1/4 throttle. It doesn’t seem to change with rpm at all and you can only hear it while it’s under load and not while idling and/or revving. I ride the bike everyday to work and it seemed to be worse while it’s cold, But now it does not get much if any quieter while it’s warm.

Im wondering what I should do to diagnose it rather than just throw parts at it as I legit just finished my top/bottom end on my dirt bike and am in the middle of doing my cars bottom end and don’t have my cash or effort to throw at it at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's unusual to not hear a failed big-end or small-end bearing knocking / tapping at idle or when revving up at idle. Usually they make themselves heard when you close the throttle after each rev-up. Have you checked every joint in the exhaust system for leaks?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's unusual to not hear a failed big-end or small-end bearing knocking / tapping at idle or when revving up at idle. Usually they make themselves heard when you close the throttle after each rev-up. Have you checked every joint in the exhaust system for leaks?
I have not. And it really doesn’t sound quite like a rod knock to me. But it sounds like it’s coming from the front cylinder almost like it’s coming from in front of me . How would you recommend checking for leaks?
I will also check and see if I can hear it after I rev when I leave work.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
To check for exhaust leaks I like to take about 3 feet of 5/8" fuel hose and put one end to my ear and hold the other end near the exhaust pipe in any suspicious areas. If there's a leak, you'll hear it puffing up the hose into your ear.

For rod knock:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To check for exhaust leaks I like to take about 3 feet of 5/8" fuel hose and put one end to my ear and hold the other end near the exhaust pipe in any suspicious areas. If there's a leak, you'll hear it puffing up the hose into your ear.

For rod knock:
Thank you very much. I Hope it’s not a rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts