Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can help, I picked up a 2000 SV650 and it only had 5100 miles on it. As I rode it more I noticed a knock when under load mainly taking off at a stop sign. The oil level was high when I got it. I read through this Thread and I cut into the oil filter that it had when I got it and found no crazy orange flakes. the other thing is after sitting for a while when it starts it will smoke when revved, not much but still smokes. Could this be a valve issue? Like I said it only has had 5100 miles on it. I am not sure what the previous owner did or not.
Any ideas, or instruction is greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Any chance the speedo was replaced and the bike has more than 5100 miles? Have you ever had a twin cylinder bike before? They seem to have a knock compared to a 4 cylinder bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had this problem and it was my chain binding. What is the condition of your chain and sprocket? make sure it's lubed properly and adjusted. If it's beat up , replace the whole thing. Mine would sound like a knock from the right side of the engine case but only when I'd really get on the throttle. It sounded like it was coming from the engine and I thought it was a thrown bearing or a rod knock. good luck.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Also, if you're trying to accelerate with the engine below 3K RPM the engine will definitely sound like it's knocking.

You should check throttle synch (different issue than above).

Also check chain adjustment and check chain for tight spots and for excessive wear (less than 12.57" measured along 21 pins, measure several sections).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Does the knock sound like the bike is chewing rocks?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the ideas, One thing is it may just be the knock talked about when taking off under 3k rpm, and I think the smoke may be from being over filled. I am going to be doing a full tune and checking the valves, new plugs and sync the carbs and yes it could use some chain lube. It doesn't sound chewing rocks. I don't think that the speedo was changed, although the tires are pretty worn.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
SVs are unhappy under 3K. The only time I ride at 3K is steady cruising on level ground. It's much happier at 4K and can pull smoothly from there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Also, you didn't mention if it had fresh gas in it. The knocking could be explained by gas that has just been in there too long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Gas was a mix of Fresh and Non Fresh. I was just looking over the manual, and am I right that their really isn't much I can do with the valves unless I pull the heads? I think I may just try a Fluids Change and Carb sync, with Fresh Gas?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Gas was a mix of Fresh and Non Fresh. I was just looking over the manual, and am I right that their really isn't much I can do with the valves unless I pull the heads? I think I may just try a Fluids Change and Carb sync, with Fresh Gas?
Sounds like a good place to start. You may have some buildup in the combustion chamber from burning oil too, depending on how long you let it run like that. If it was my bike, I'd get the proper amount of oil in there and take it easy until I got a fresh tank of gas through it to see if it works itself out. If it still ain't right, then start looking at the hard stuff.

Obviously, if the condition worsens or you are worried about really hurting the bike, don't ride it until you do some more troubleshooting.

In terms of valves, if you are just talking about adjusting them, they are done with the valve covers off, but if you are talking about servicing or replacing, you have to take the heads off.

·
Registered
856 Posts
are they the stock tires? the brand and model .almost no one buys them as replacement tires,but they do last maybe 6000 niles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm going to also suggest checking your chain for a binding link. This will cause the chain to go from WAY loose to WAY tight and it will make that noise. Get the rear tire off the ground put it in neutral and slowly turn the rear tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts