Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you all for your advice thus far. So it turns out I do need a new engine for my 03 650s. I found someone to do it for me and he even found a motor. But as much as I wish I new about pricing this stuff I dont. Is 17 to 18 hundred a good price to have a 7000 mile (guaranteed working engine) shipped from OH and installed? The guy seems like an awesome guy and I trust him, I just dont know enough about pricing and I really cant afford to mess this up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
working engines run from 500-800.

engine install is easy as hell. you can easily do this yourself. granted you will need a friend when trying to put the engine in the frame. i dropped 1 engine and reinstalled another with about 12 hours of super casual labor time. if i rushed i could of done it in about 6. just make sure you take a 24mm socket and make a castle nut tool before you start.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
working engines run from 500-800.

engine install is easy as hell. you can easily do this yourself. granted you will need a friend when trying to put the engine in the frame. i dropped 1 engine and reinstalled another with about 12 hours of super casual labor time. if i rushed i could of done it in about 6. just make sure you take a 24mm socket and make a castle nut tool before you start.
this assumes he has a place to work, tools, and friends. ;D

how many hours is the guy quoting you to do the work? It should be around $75 an hour.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the number sounds reasonable to me if it includes

engine
shipping
labor to install
service in engine and bike
renew oil & filter
new plugs
valve inspection & adjustment if necessary
inspect & replace cam chain tensioners if necessary
carb/tbs-tps adjustment
replace front sporcket if necessary

basicly I'm saying everything required to be able to turn the key and ride worry free until your next scheduled maintenance

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The engine after packing shipping and tax is around 1200 ballpark (shipping from OH to CA). And he said he would charge about 500 to take off the blown engine and put the new one on and make sure everythings ready to go.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How well do you know the guy doing the install? I've been burned in the past on my truck by someone that "knew" what he was doing.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I think the money for the install is spot on but the cost of the engine is crazy. Check out ebay for some better deals.

What exactly is wrong with the engine you have?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts