Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should start by saying I'm new and no mechanic in any sense of the word. Anyways, I pulled my carbs yesterday so I can clean them. I bought this bike used and maintenance has been a little bit of a headache because frankly, it doesn't seem like the previous owner ever maintained it. Lots of brittle screws and things of that nature.

Well I got the carbs out and want to place them in solution but I can't dismount these wires because the screws are stripped. Any suggestions? I've circled them in the pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/B2hXC

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
There's no need to remove those wires. Cleaning the carbs involves removing the float bowls and cleaning the internal surfaces, blowing out the jets with compressed air, etc.

If you have the carbs completely disconnected from the bike, I suggest taking the assembly to a shop.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Get a set of EZ-out's (Screw extractors).
They'll be worth the cost as you'll likely end up using them again down the road.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
There's no need to remove those wires. Cleaning the carbs involves removing the float bowls and cleaning the internal surfaces, blowing out the jets with compressed air, etc...
^^^ this... Do NOT dunk assembled carbs in a solvent tank, you'll ruin them.

As for the screws, start with a set of JIS screwdrivers. The screws on Japanese bikes are not Philips, and using Philips screwdrivers on them tends to round them out. If that doesn't work Vise-Grips often do, or dremelling a slot in the screw head and using a regular screwdriver, or a last resort the EZ-Outs.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
+1 on JIS driver

also use hand impact to break loose

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You will need new screws if you can't reuse those screws. That is the Throttle Position Sensor. If you do remove the sensor, you will have to reset its position. Do you have a service manual?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts