Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a 1st gen

so I thought on initial inspection i did not have emulators (as seller stated) but I find out after fishing better I have them...but I ordered some already. Now the emulators installed are not the same as the race techs. they are a little bit larger in diameter as well as only have one pin hole on top compared to 2 on the RT

so do the Traxxion Drop in kits all use the same Emulator but just different rods? but that would not make sense. I know I will have to completely take off the fork and pull the rod to be sure but wanted some help.

Left emulator was installed the right one was the new RT I ordered.

Left New RT / Right was the isntalled one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Those look like the "Harley" emulators. Theres a thread about those on here, pretty much a copy of the RT's but cost like $40.

I have those "Harley" emulators on my 2nd gen. Return or sell the RT's.

I would check to see if the damper rods have been modified.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea but the confusing thing is the 1st gen emulators are smaller, I ordered the RT first gens and the ones installed are larger so I was thinking that Traxxion uses the same emulators they just use a different damp Rod that fits the appropriate forks but has the same upper dimensions where the emulator sits

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I know Racetech has a few versions of emulators. Evolutions if you will. The outer diameter doesn't really matter, it's the seating diameter on the bottom. See if those are the same. These devices are really simple and I'm sure the knock-off is just as good.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the ones installed will not fit into the stock rods I got as spares with the bike, the part where the emulator is seated in the rod is larger than the RTs i bought? I guess i will be pulling the forks apart to see tomorrow. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yea but the confusing thing is the 1st gen emulators are smaller, I ordered the RT first gens and the ones installed are larger so I was thinking that Traxxion uses the same emulators they just use a different damp Rod that fits the appropriate forks but has the same upper dimensions where the emulator sits
Do you have the RT damping rods or the stock damping rods?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I know Racetech has a few versions of emulators. Evolutions if you will. The outer diameter doesn't really matter, it's the seating diameter on the bottom. See if those are the same. These devices are really simple and I'm sure the knock-off is just as good.
Yes. Place the emulator on top of the damping rod. It should fit inside the rod with the lip resting on top. When together, the spring will push down on the outside of the emulator. I can stop by and check it out if you like.

If the knock off felt too squishy I wouldnt use it.....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well the ones installed will not fit into the stock rods I got as spares with the bike, the part where the emulator is seated in the rod is larger than the RTs i bought? I guess i will be pulling the forks apart to see tomorrow. thanks guys
That explains why you're bike had no damping. the idea is for the emulator to seal against the top of the damping rod and for the fluid to be forced through the valving on the emulator. On stock forks, the compression damping is controlled by the size of the holes on the rod. We drill those out so the fluid flows freely through the holes. Then the emulator on top of the rod cotrols the damping. The emulator is nothing but a blow off valve. The more preload you out on the emulator spring, the more pressure it takes to open it up and that gives you more compression damping.

I'm guessing those knock offs are for a 2nd gen SV which uses a larger emulator. 1st gen forks are KYB, 2nd gen are Showa.

Toss the knock offs and use the real emulators. I can bring a 2nd gen damper rod over to see if the knock off fits...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I spoke to traction and they use the same emulator for both 1st/2nd gens ,so I probably have the drop in kit now I just need to finish taking them apart and change the oil....man it was stinky

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well I spoke to traction and they use the same emulator for both 1st/2nd gens ,so I probably have the drop in kit now I just need to finish taking them apart and change the oil....man it was stinky
That was pretty much going to be my 2 cents as well. I've purchased/installed 2 traxxion drop in kits and they had the smooth emulators. Zoran once told me the 'castle' emulators were the ones racetech specs out for the SV.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
That explains why you're bike had no damping. the idea is for the emulator to seal against the top of the damping rod and for the fluid to be forced through the valving on the emulator. On stock forks, the compression damping is controlled by the size of the holes on the rod. We drill those out so the fluid flows freely through the holes. Then the emulator on top of the rod cotrols the damping. The emulator is nothing but a blow off valve. The more preload you out on the emulator spring, the more pressure it takes to open it up and that gives you more compression damping.

I'm guessing those knock offs are for a 2nd gen SV which uses a larger emulator. 1st gen forks are KYB, 2nd gen are Showa.

Toss the knock offs and use the real emulators. I can bring a 2nd gen damper rod over to see if the knock off fits...
The only knockoffs I know are for 1st gens.

You need a spacer to make those work on a 2nd gen (like I have).

Take a few pics man, it'll make it so much easier for us to see whats going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts