Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’ve learned everything I know about bikes here in the past year so I figured I’d see if anyone knows what’s going on here. I recently bought my second SV, it’s an old one that had been sitting about a year that I got running with a carb clean and spark plug change (thanks for the guidance!) and it’s been running like a champ. However, recently it started making this electronic kind of whirring noise like an electric motor engine breaking almost its weird and loud enough to hear through my helmet very loudly and it varies by rpm (if I down shift to engine break the tone changes every time) It’s not the usual quiet, subtle electronic sound it’s much louder. I look to the bottom right and I can feel the clutch cover vibrating pretty heavily. You can’t really hear the noise until you’re decelerating and if I pull the clutch in altogether you can’t hear anything but the noise. It almost completely goes away once it’s heated up after about 10-15 mins of riding and it calms down. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated if anyone’s experienced this, I’ll try and get a video but it’s tough because I need to be moving to hear it. Thanks in advance!

-Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,163 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by "electronic sound" but how are the chain and sprockets?

Did you adjusted the chain recently?

Did the problem start suddenly or little by little?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All

it won’t let me post a video so I put it here if anyone wants to listen.
You can hear the noise in the background a bit towards the middle and you can hear it at the very end idling at the light. To answer your questions, chain and sprocket are solid and untouched by me and this sound was a sudden onset as I took a turn I accelerated and when I slowed down I heard it for the first time. Another update I found is that I can sit with the bike running in neutral and the clutch released and I can hear the buzzing against the clutch cover and the light humming of the electronic noise, but as soon as I put the bike in first it has a big click as it slides into gear and then the buzzing stops and it’s perfectly fine. I don’t know transmission stuff real well but it feels like something going on within the transmission itself. Again, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts