Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, riddle me this:

Have had trouble starting my 01' 650S in the past so I've done the following:

1. Changed Regulator / Rectifier about 1 year ago - very little riding since
2. Just bought a new battery yesterday, charged it, reading 13+ Volts after being on a 1 amp charger for 7 hours

Here is what happens when I connect the battery:
1. Sparks when I touch the terminals - I made sure to connect correct polarity
2. Bike attempts to turnover immediately, even though the kill switch is on cut-off and the key is set to "Off"
3. No lights turn on while the bike tries to turn over
4. The last time I was able to get the bike to turn over, I let it warm up and when I turned the key to "off" and hit the kill switch, but the bike kept running - it cutoff after a bit, not really sure why / how I got it to stop

I'm thinking it's an ignition issue and/or a short somewhere in the system, but don't really know how to investigate if I can't get it running. Please help me get my bike running before spring - feels like it'll be here shortly in Charlotte, NC!

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shorted starter solenoid (if this bike has one) or starter relay full of water. I need to check the manual and see if this bike has either of the above but in my experience with cars these are usually the cause of the problem you describe.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah sounds like the starter relay is being uncooperative.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. Sparks when I touch the terminals - I made sure to connect correct polarity
* a little bit of sparking is OK when hooking up.

3. No lights turn on while the bike tries to turn over
* that may be OK. SOmetimes lighting relays cut the lights during starting to allow more power to the starter motor. My kwak does that. Not sure if my SVS does. I will check that out. The lights should come on immediately after the starter button is released though. I am guessing yours do, or you would be riding without any lights whatsoever.

2. Bike attempts to turnover immediately, even though the kill switch is on cut-off and the key is set to "Off"
* I agree that the starter relay is causing you some grief, but it only allows power to the starter if the solenoid in the relay is 'activated'.   It could be the relay itself,  but it may more likely be the switch cluster on the right side where the starter/cutoff switch is.  It sounds like you are getting power to the solenoid even when you dont want it.  I would suspect your switch housing is faulty based on the info you have posted.

Have you dropped the bike recently, especially on the right side? It may have damaged the switch somehow.  btw,  this switch housing is pretty universal on 99 thru 05 Suzukis,  used on all  GSXR models, TL's  and SV's , so if you e-bay one, dont limit yourself to just your model of bike for this switch.

I just picked one up on ebay for $10 from a '02 busa auction.  Mine failed from a right-side lowside recently.  Do you have a wiring diagram?  You will need one if you want to diagnose the problem yourself. 

If you have a diagram and a volt meter, you can at least avoid paying $60/hour for a shop monkey to do the basic system checks.  You are then armed with what is working and what isnt. 

Here is how I diagnosed the problem of the bike not starting when the started button was pushed .   Generally you start at the power source(battery) and follow circuits along the route to where the failure is, which in this case was my starter would not turn over when mashing the button.

1).  Battery charged? 
* used a voltmeter to check the charge.  12.95 volts at the terminals
2).  Power at starter solenoid?
* used voltmeter to check for power at starter relay (under seat)
* red wire has same voltage as battery (it should .. it is connected directly to the battery!)
3).  Power at kill switch?
* removed right switch housing from handlebars.
*  kill switch in KILL position - 12volts only on one side of solder point
*  kill switch in RUN position - 12V on both in-and-out sides of switch
4).  Power at starter button?
*  KILL Switch in RUN position.  Input to starter button
    will show 12V.
*  Outbound wire shows 0 volts
*  Press starter button.  Outbound wire should show 12V. 
    Shows 0 volts
    *  Then I touched a nail across the in-and-out sides of the
         starter button, and the starter turned over.
--voila!--

Now I at least know what to buy, and just dont throw money at the problem.  Electrical problems are the WORST!  You have my sympathies.  But let us know what you find out!   

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing to note -

Prior to getting the new battery, I connected the old one to the bike after it was trickle charged. After connecting it, and not being able to get the bike to start, I worked on another project about 30 minutes when I stared hearing a few noises coming from the bike. Turns out, the battery was buring hot and making noise - I'm guessing it was being overcharged by the charging system.

Any ideas beside what's already been mentioned?

Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Pull the right side panel off and check to see if something is shorting out the 2 big terminals on the starter solenoid where the positive battery cable connects and the wire goes to the starter. If your starter motor starts turning when you connect the battery it is a problem with something shorted across those terminals or the solenoid is bad and stuck on, or somehow the small yellow wire to the solenoid is touching the positive battery cable to the battery. Don't leave any battery connected till you figure out what's wrong. Battery getting hot is a severe problem and is frying your starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts