Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -- few questions about the electrical system on the SV. What sort of amperage does the stator turn out? I know it puts out around 13 volts or so, but I'm trying to find out A, what sort of power draw the electrical devices on the bike have, and B, what sort of available power there is. There's a number of electrical devices (GPS, radar detector, chatterbox / helmet intercom, some sort of audio device (MP3 player I expect) I'd like to rig up to it -- eventually -- and I want to make sure I'm not over-taxing the stator. Perhaps a capacitor under the rear seat might help? Are there any higher capacity stators available?

And no, I'm not going to go buy a Goldwing. ;)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I don't know the technical answers, but I can hazard a few guesses. The GPS and the MP3 player together would draw precious little amperage. My Garmin GPSmap 60CS runs all day on a pair of rechargeable NiMH batteries, as does my MP3 player. The load is negligible. Add the chatterbox and I'm sure you're well within the capacities of the system. Radar detector added in is still a pretty small draw, depending on the unit you select.

I would guess that all the devices would rarely run at the same time. You could also consider running the MP3 and the GPS on battery. Rechargeables are quite economical and there's two fewer wires to fiddle with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts