Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find anything that is similar to what I'm seeing.

A couple days ago I had my bike on the street and the sprinklers came on, dousing it. In my haste of moving it I assume I reparked it with the parking lights on because the next morning the battery was completely dead, it wouldn't turn over at all.

Today I finally got around to jumping it with my car (the car was not turned on). It took a little longer than I expected but I got it started. I left it idling for 10 minutes or so, than went on a 40 minute ride. During the ride the speedo, odometer, and tach (mostly the speedo and odometer) would go in and out. They'd be fine idling at a stop but once I started they would go in and out. After 40 minutes I took it back home and parked it.

As soon as I cut the engine the electrics totally went out again, checked to see if it would turn over at all and nothing like before.

Any idea on what it is? It was fine before the initial dead battery, could it be related to the jump or the water? This battery has been drained and jumped before, could it just be toast?

·
Registered
827 Posts
it's not really a good idea to jump it with a car. i would check your relays. your voltage regulator/rectifier may have gotten a good jolt from it---if your system isn't charging properly and you get the in & out with the tach & speedo the regulator/rectifier may be giving you problems.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Your charging system is not designed to charge a dead battery, just maintain it. Expecting the bike to charge the battery will overheat the rectifier ($$$) and will never totally charge the battery. Take your battery to a MC shop and have them charge it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had the same exact issues with my guages and a bad battery. When your guages don't see the voltages they expect to see they will act funny. I replaced the battery and they went back to working fine.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
it's not really a good idea to jump it with a car. i would check your relays. your voltage regulator/rectifier may have gotten a good jolt from it---if your system isn't charging properly and you get the in & out with the tach & speedo the regulator/rectifier may be giving you problems.
Here we go again... 12 volts is 12 volts, doesn't matter if the battery is 10 amp/hours or 2000 amp/hours. IT ISN'T going to hurt your electrical system! It is called Ohms Law! The starter will only draw what it needs.

Your battery is toast, or your connections are loose. Odds are it is time for a new battery.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here we go again... 12 volts is 12 volts, doesn't matter if the battery is 10 amp/hours or 2000 amp/hours. IT ISN'T going to hurt your electrical system! It is called Ohms Law! The starter will only draw what it needs.

Your battery is toast, or your connections are loose. Odds are it is time for a new battery.
+1

Take the battery and charge it then take it to an auto parts store and they can put it on a load tester to tell you if it is bad.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
your assuming you left your parking lights on and started your problems

I submit that you didn't leave your parking lights on, your charging system has been failing intermittently for some time. good chance you need both a battery and a RR

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your assuming you left your parking lights on and started your problems

I submit that you didn't leave your parking lights on, your charging system has been failing intermittently for some time. good chance you need both a battery and a RR
A battery can go completely dead overnight from a bad RR? Nothing turned on that morning, it wasn't just a weak battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts