Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my bike this morning, just like most other mornings, and found a problem.

First - I turned the key to on, but no gauges lit up. I put it in neutral and hit the starter, but nothing happened - as if the battery were dead. So I jumped it from my Jeep, and it ran, but it ran a little rough and the taillight was flickering. I rode about a block down the street, but the gauges and ODO were all flickering on and off, and when the gauges were of, the ignition seemed to sputter as well.

What's your feeling on this? Regulator/Rectifier? Or larger problem?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
My advice would be check the following first:

1. battery hook ups
2. ground(negative) to motor
3. main fuse( at starter relay)

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
^
+1

I had the same issue two years ago. Found out that the battery connections were loose and a bunch of other connections.

Good Luck

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Charge the battery up to the proper voltage, then try to run the bike and tell us how it runs. Seems a bit hard to diagnose with the given situation.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My advice would be check the following first:

1. battery hook ups
2. ground(negative) to motor
3. main fuse( at starter relay)

Good luck.

Thanks, Doug & all! I'll throw my battery tender on it and check the hookups tonight.

Does anyone have a good link or pic for the location of the motor ground and main fuse? I know very little about bikes, but a decent amount about cars.

(I promise I'll order a Haynes today. ;D I've been putting it off since these bikes are supposed to be so reliable.)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Thanks, Doug & all! I'll throw my battery tender on it and check the hookups tonight.

Does anyone have a good link or pic for the location of the motor ground and main fuse? I know very little about bikes, but a decent amount about cars.

(I promise I'll order a Haynes today. ;D I've been putting it off since these bikes are supposed to be so reliable.)
99% of the time when this happens its a loose battery connection. If that doesnt fix it, then go looking for other sources of the problem. Make once change at a time so you know what to look for next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts