Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 SV650 with an apparent electrical issue. My bike sat for over a year and the battery was dead so I replaced it. I push the starter button and the bike starts, but the starter will not disengage. I turn off the key... starter still spinning. The only way to disengage the starter is to disconnect the battery. Reconnect the battery, starter engages even with key in off position. If its sits for a few days, i can reconnect the battery without the starter engaging, but as soon as I turn on the bike and push the starter button, starter engages and again wont stop without disconnecting the battery.

I replaced the starter solenoid confident it would correct the problem, but it did not. Starter behaved the same. I guess It is possible the replacement solenoid was also faulty, but I have not tried replacing it again.

Any thoughts?

cb

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
No doubt both relays have failed, short-circuit mode. That is the only way the starter motor can run with the key off.

It is unlikely to have two failed relays in a row but holding down the starter button while the starter motor is stalled (or barely cranking) will cause excessive current which can kill even a new relay.

Engine drag, failing starter motor, poor terminal contacts, low battery, etc... all can cause slow cranking. If the starter cranks slowly do NOT continue to hold the starter button. Long duration starter engagement at high current will fry the relay contacts. The underlying problem needs to be fixed first.

When this problem happened was the stater motor struggling to crank the engine?

Reactions: cb4
1 - 2 of 2 Posts